Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumping into C++ ?
Answer is, if you want to go for it. C++ is just a lower level programming language( technically it's high level, but in comparison to the other popular languages now a days it's kind of lower level. ), if you think you have the time to learn it. It's not exactly easy to start off in, but its worth it if you can learn it. You may get confused in the beginning by templates, streams, some of it's more abstract OOP concepts, dynamic memory allocation and so on and so forth. Don't expect this to be something you can get good at easily. But luckily C++ is very well documented and has a hell of a community. I don't think you should listen to everyone telling you to jump into .NET before you get into C++, because I think the transition will be tricky and you'll be lacking a lot of the details of C++ that are necessary.

Why not start off with C? It's what C++ is derived from, and its more minimalist which makes learning the language as a whole quite easier. C++ is quite frankly, a huge language. It's not exactly a bad thing -- but could be kind of overwhelming if you catch my drift.

In short, if you think you can learn C++ go for it. You'll have to work hard but once you've got some of it down it'll become easier and worth it. But my personal recommendation is to first learn C and lower level concepts and then move up to whatever you see fit.
I mean general programming like I know how it works and how each language has it's own syntax, I've done some C# and VB6 and a little bit of PHP.
You should be fine just jumping into C++ at first it may be slower but it will save you time in the long run.

and btw are you baked from HF?
My first language was Python. I found that to be really easy to learn and very powerful. I started to learn C++ about a month ago and it seems fairly easy to me I think because of python.
(06-18-2011, 12:31 AM)Dubstep Wrote: My first language was Python. I found that to be really easy to learn and very powerful. I started to learn C++ about a month ago and it seems fairly easy to me I think because of python.

yeah i agree python is a great place to star if you have no experience.
Any language becomes easier once you know at least one.
i would recommend you start with a "simplier" language but if you think you could do c++ go for it
Personally, i would not jump right into it.

If i was you i would start with C# then C++
[Image: Untitled-1-4.jpg]
Java is a good one to learn.
I am also going to learn C++ soon.
Thats what I am doing. Just going straight into it.