Poll: Should we have an Emotional Support section?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
47.62%
10 47.62%
No
52.38%
11 52.38%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Suggestion] Emotional support.
Hello.

This was suggested at the VERY beginning of the site's opening, and I'd like to suggest it again, seeing how it's pretty active now, considering it's not old at all :B

I think it'd be nice to see a section devoted to helping people with emotional problems. Some examples:
  • My girlfriend broke up with me.
  • My dog died.
  • I can't concentrate in school.
  • My father's a drunk.
  • My friends are two-faced.
  • I feel like a geek.
  • My brother is everything I'm not.
  • the list goes on.

Whether we want to believe it or not, we all experience such problems in our lives. As we gain experience, we form our own definitions as to what is a problem and what isn't. However, everyone starts somewhere ^_^

I think this would de-clutter the "OSHIT" area as well, since that seems to be the place to post if you're having IRL problems (at the moment). Post y'all's opinions Smile
I don't think this would be a very popular section. I don't know many people that are up to just opening up their personal problems on a public forum with a bunch of people they don't know. I have enough trouble talking about any issues going on in my head with my family lol.

I also see this being a VERY abused area.

I voted no.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
(10-18-2009, 01:56 AM)Grizzly Wrote: I don't think this would be a very popular section. I don't know many people that are up to just opening up their personal problems on a public forum with a bunch of people they don't know. I have enough trouble talking about any issues going on in my head with my family lol.

I also see this being a VERY abused area.

I voted no.

Hi.
Well, everyone's different. The thing about the Internet (specifically SF) is no one knows you. This has its pros and cons, in that what other people know here won't affect your real life problems, but also in that people you don't know won't be able to give personalised advice, seeing as they won't know the people involved in your situation or whatever. However, this could be good, considering the advisers would have a non-tainted view on the situation.

By 'abused', what do you mean? As in, people flaming others, or what?
This is a computer support forum, if you need emotional support related to your computer, I suggest you see a professional.

And I second Grizzly.
Yeah, people flaming others. People making up fake stories. People telling others to kill themselves (then if that happens and the parents/spouse find out it came from here, Omni is looking a liability issues). It would just be WAY more trouble than it's worth.

MAYBE as the site gets much larger.MAYBE.
(10-18-2009, 02:13 AM)Extasey Wrote: This is a computer support forum, if you need emotional support related to your computer, I suggest you see a professional.

And I second Grizzly.

The website is called "Support Forums", not, "Computer Support Forums". A support section pertaining to automobiles has been suggested and is being contemplated. Why not other things?

(10-18-2009, 02:14 AM)Grizzly Wrote: Yeah, people flaming others. People making up fake stories. People telling others to kill themselves (then if that happens and the parents/spouse find out it came from here, Omni is looking a liability issues). It would just be WAY more trouble than it's worth.

MAYBE as the site gets much larger.MAYBE.

Yes, I can see the flaming ocurring. But, flaming is a part of any forum, as you know. However, it would be more prominent in an emotional support section, I'm sure.

But, I suppose your mentioning of the liability thing is correct. However, to be fair, this could happen anywhere. For example, "My computer won't start up. What should I do?" - "Kill yourself." - "Okay." Not likely, but it's possible.

I suppose we should just wait and see what Omni's opinion is.
(10-18-2009, 02:27 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: The website is called "Support Forums", not, "Computer Support Forums". A support section pertaining to automobiles has been suggested and is being contemplated. Why not other things?

I see your point, but look at all the categories, they are pretty much ALL computer related. (inb4 OSHIT, welcome mat and news)

And if you would like a sample of a usual "GO KILL YOURSELF" outcome of these posts where a user spills his guts, visit /b/ on 4chan.
(10-18-2009, 01:46 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: Hello.

This was suggested at the VERY beginning of the site's opening, and I'd like to suggest it again, seeing how it's pretty active now, considering it's not old at all :B

I think it'd be nice to see a section devoted to helping people with emotional problems. Some examples:
  • My girlfriend broke up with me.
  • My dog died.
  • I can't concentrate in school.
  • My father's a drunk.
  • My friends are two-faced.
  • I feel like a geek.
  • My brother is everything I'm not.
  • the list goes on.

Whether we want to believe it or not, we all experience such problems in our lives. As we gain experience, we form our own definitions as to what is a problem and what isn't. However, everyone starts somewhere ^_^

I think this would de-clutter the "OSHIT" area as well, since that seems to be the place to post if you're having IRL problems (at the moment). Post y'all's opinions Smile

I think no, i suffer from mental illness. I currently don't work and I'm on a disability pension for it. I spend my days at home playing on my computer. There is plenty of chat sites for people with issues, and most of them have trained professionals to cater your needs. I wouldn't recommend taking advice/relying on people with no medical degree or training. For general support i guess it's okay, but if your suicidal, maybe not such a great idea.

I used to hang out here in the chat room until it got old, sometimes i go back.

http://www.bipolarchat.org/

The likelihood of someone being in such a fragile emotional state over their computer not starting is so small it's not even worth consideration. However, someone's fiancee just broke up with them, that's a whole different matter.
Thats actually not a bad idea, I actually think it might work. The problem though is i'm not sure the member base here as a whole are mature enough to handle it. If it could be limited though in some way to only let trustworthy/mature members in it could work. Maybe if there is a SF l33t kind of thing it could just be open to them, people who are mature enough to source $5 would be a good "gate".

Maybe it could be a category for "Life" rather than strictly emotional topics, for maybe advice with managing finances, choosing a pet or car and those real life kind of things.
MyBB Support team member.
[Image: smallsig.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Add windows 8 to Windows support section. Eternal. 4 1,240 10-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Clark
  Suggestion - Add: Sound Hardware section in Computer Support Topics Eternal. 2 765 10-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Eternal.
  Email Notification for Emotional Support Peter L 31 8,090 05-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Peter L
  Suggestion]HF Award [Suggestion lil weezy baby 20 5,440 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  [Suggestion] Emotional 'Support' Reality 7 1,451 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Omniscient