Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debate week #2 Now open
I am not American. State and province designations of legal age are based on concepts of education and emotional maturity, which is not reasonable given that neither are standard nor universally accessible. I am in favour of 20+ as the legal age, increasing public education on responsible drinking, stricter guidelines for liquor advertising and convictions for drinking offenders.

It is only in the more conservative and/or religious societies that homosexual marriage is prohibited. So long as these societies have the capacity to influence state elections, marriage will be denied to homosexuals in that particular state. The very arguments that support marriage as a sacred institution between a man and a women also support same-sex marriage, unless fundamental human rights are ignored. Personally I don't differentiate between monogamous partnerships (whether marriage or de facto) as valid life choices for all individuals, regardless of sexuality.
(03-22-2011, 04:03 AM)Eve Wrote: I am not American. State and province designations of legal age are based on concepts of education and emotional maturity, which is not reasonable given that neither are standard nor universally accessible. I am in favour of 20+ as the legal age, increasing public education on responsible drinking, stricter guidelines for liquor advertising and convictions for drinking offenders.

It is only in the more conservative and/or religious societies that homosexual marriage is prohibited. So long as these societies have the capacity to influence state elections, marriage will be denied to homosexuals in that particular state. The very arguments that support marriage as a sacred institution between a man and a women also support same-sex marriage, unless fundamental human rights are ignored. Personally I don't differentiate between monogamous partnerships (whether marriage or de facto) as valid life choices for all individuals, regardless of sexuality.
But what do you think about moderation, why can't teenagers and 10 year olds, have a glass of wine with their parents?
I think I liked my ideas for debates better lol. But why would the first debate topic be only for Americans? why wouldn't you have made it a worldwide question? :S That doesn't make sense to me.

However, if there was a way to judge responsible drinking amongst people and their maturity levels instead of age, because the two are so irrelevant... I would support that. It's been proven time and time again that age and maturity are not proportional and hardly have any relationship at all. The only relationship the two have is through life experience, but they don't take that into account when they use age as a guideline do they?. Smile

People learn from mistakes though, and sometimes the mistakes people make are hard to overcome because of how drastic some of them may be for that unfortunate individual.
(03-22-2011, 08:13 PM)Infinity Wrote: I think I liked my ideas for debates better lol. But why would the first debate topic be only for Americans? why wouldn't you have made it a worldwide question? :S That doesn't make sense to me.

However, if there was a way to judge responsible drinking amongst people and their maturity levels instead of age, because the two are so irrelevant... I would support that. It's been proven time and time again that age and maturity are not proportional and hardly have any relationship at all. The only relationship the two have is through life experience, but they don't take that into account when they use age as a guideline do they?. Smile

People learn from mistakes though, and sometimes the mistakes people make are hard to overcome because of how drastic some of them may be for that unfortunate individual.
What were your ideas again? I also have a pretty good one. I was thinking Should other countries be interfering in Libya.
(03-22-2011, 08:23 PM)RDCA Wrote: What were your ideas again? I also have a pretty good one. I was thinking Should other countries be interfering in Libya.

That's not a bad one either. But continue with the current debate you have going, no use switching half way through.

My previous ideas: 2012, Illuminati. I think they are a lot more conceptual and philosophical ideas compared to the "News" type debates you have going on.
(03-22-2011, 08:26 PM)Infinity Wrote: That's not a bad one either. But continue with the current debate you have going, no use switching half way through.

My previous ideas: 2012, Illuminati
Yea, I would never give up a debate, but we need more people, next time I am going to wait for most people to choice a side and take the lesser side.
Topic #1: I am American, and the legal drinking age is still 21. Obviously this doesn't really stop anyone, as it happens underage every single day. I would know, as I am a Freshman in high school. I could go out and drink if I wanted to, but I choose not to because I know it is bad for me. I feel that the legal drinking age doesn't really matter. Some of my friends have been caught by their parents, by the cops, etc. still choose to do it. Overall, the legal drinking age is just another rule that will be chosen to be broken.

Topic #2: I do not agree with homosexual marriage. I should include that I am a strong Roman-Catholic, and this definitely sways my beliefs. Although I am not against homosexuality (to an extent), I feel that marriage is a sacred Sacrament that God created, and he reserved it for a man and a woman to partake in.
Homosexuals should be allowed to get married. Marriage is a union between two people in love, end of story. Who's to say there's something wrong with same-sex marriage? It's not the decision of anyone except the two individuals themselves.

I don't quite understand what bothers others, especially people who aren't homosexual who oppose same-sex marriage. Is it because of religious values? If a religion condemns gay marriage, I don't believe it is exercising freedom of love (a universal emotion through humans) enough, and should be reconsidered.

I hate to be informal, but, 'haters gonna hate', we can't stop opposition, but it's definitely morally right.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  13 exams in a week Explosions Hurt 1 546 06-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Last Post: AnonymousPie
  Debate Class Rage 9 1,371 09-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Artiex™
  Sooo, my education depends on the test I'm having next week..... ONeShoT 13 2,864 08-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Last Post: ONeShoT
  Getting pro-active?... 5 Week Prog. Rep. Sent, 10 More Weeks to Get Better... Resistance 5 1,424 10-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Pineapple