Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How To Run CMD (Command Prompt) From *Anywhere*
I have been looking for a small piece of software I vaguely remembered having a while ago that added the Command Prompt to the right click menu, enabling you to start a Command Prompt from any drive/directory/folder you wanted, instead of having to start with the default and then navigating to the desired directory.

I didn’t find it but what I did find was a tip which I think is much better:

In Windows Explorer, simply hold down the Shift key and right-click the folder you want to set as the working directory, then choose Open Command Window here as in image 1 below:

[Image: 2s9ya93.png]

If you look at image 2 you will see how the Command Prompt looks when opened in the usual way with the default setting, as opposed to image 3 which shows the Command Prompt opened at the drive/directory/folder of your choice.

[Image: 28kncyd.png]

[Image: 28kllya.png]

Please Note: This must be run as an Elevated Command prompt with Administrator privileges.

That’s it! No software to be installed with incomprehensible instructions, or tweaks to the registry with possible catastrophic consequences should you unwittingly change the wrong character.

Enjoy and don't forget to say thanks. Victoire
[Image: t5BWm.png]
lol, why would you get a program to do this when you can get the registry to do it for you though? Smile I've added an option in the context menu to open a directory in command prompt, and open picture files in photoshop. I think I had made a tutorial on it somewhere on this forum too.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6OX-Eg9wo[/yt]

Here's a video that I created.
(03-20-2011, 12:30 PM)Infinity Wrote: lol, why would you get a program to do this when you can get the registry to do it for you though? Smile I've added an option in the context menu to open a directory in command prompt, and open picture files in photoshop. I think I had made a tutorial on it somewhere on this forum too.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6OX-Eg9wo[/yt]

Here's a video that I created.

I believe you overlooked what I was explaining here. Read the last few sentences of the thread. In the end, just hold the shift key before you right click is easier and faster then possibly ruining the registry and slowing down the right click context menu. Just hold shift when you need it.
(03-20-2011, 01:27 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: I believe you overlooked what I was explaining here. Read the last few sentences of the thread. In the end, just hold the shift key before you right click is easier and faster then possibly ruining the registry and slowing down the right click context menu. Just hold shift when you need it.

I agree, but you can also set different parameters for the cmd.exe that you want to open through the registry, which can be useful sometimes. You need to have administer rights to be able to do somethings in the prompt

This is still fairly good though, I almost forgot about this shortcut. I usually just used to use cd and dir to locate directories and files.

I still very much enjoy my photoshop shortcut in the context menu though Smile
(03-20-2011, 01:31 PM)Infinity Wrote: I agree, but you can also set different parameters for the cmd.exe that you want to open through the registry, which can be useful sometimes. You need to have administer rights to be able to do somethings in the prompt

This is still fairly good though, I almost forgot about this shortcut. I usually just used to use cd and dir to locate directories and files.

Exactly, this thread wasn't meant for you (no offense, your too high tech like me), it was meant for those kind of people who never heard of the registry before... PinchRoflmao

EDIT: I could easily do a registry modification but I am truly way too lazy, Infinity.
nice tut man
(03-20-2011, 01:34 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: Exactly, this thread wasn't meant for you (no offense, your too high tech like me), it was meant for those kind of people who never heard of the registry before... PinchRoflmao

EDIT: I could easily do a registry modification but I am truly way too lazy, Infinity.

No no, I agree, I've just removed my command prompt item from the context menu through the registry in the shell key. It doesn't make sense, I just forgot about this shortcut all together lol. I've kept my shortcut to photoshop.exe though. But thanks for the post, good refresher.

I think it would be good to have a list of windows shortcuts for a new thread idea.

Ex)
  • Windows logo + E to open explorer
  • Alt + Tab to switch between windows on the taskbar
(03-20-2011, 01:41 PM)Infinity Wrote: No no, I agree, I've just removed my command prompt item from the context menu through the registry in the shell key. It doesn't make sense, I just forgot about this shortcut all together lol. I've kept my shortcut to photoshop.exe though. But thanks for the post, good refresher.

I think it would be good to have a list of windows shortcuts for a new thread idea.

Ex)
  • Windows logo + E to open explorer
  • Alt + Tab to switch between windows on the taskbar

Awesome idea! I wish I thought of it! Are you going to really make a thread on Windows 7 Shortcuts???....
(03-20-2011, 02:06 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: Awesome idea! I wish I thought of it! Are you going to really make a thread on Windows 7 Shortcuts???....

Possibly, I think it would be beneficial to people. The shortcuts between Windows Vista and Windows 7 aren't really that different. The only difference would be things like the aero snap feature from the Alt button. (Alt + Left to move window against left side of the screen and vice versa.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TuToRiAl] Change Command Prompt Text Color [TuToRiAl] Resistance 63 24,725 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Resistance
  Need Good Browsers and Programs to make your computer run fast? javance 1 816 12-05-2012, 04:22 AM
Last Post: JiniOnline
  [Batch Script] File Binary Data Compare - (Drag & Drop / Command Line Args) AceInfinity 5 2,950 01-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ISO
  FileTerminator Batch/CMD Script AceInfinity 1 895 08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Prominent
  FileSort v1.00 CMD Script AceInfinity 7 1,786 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Prominent