Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will -rep ever come back?
(03-18-2011, 02:15 PM)JDBar Wrote: I really miss it. Positive rep is nearly pointless without minus rep. I wish I was able to do both +rep and -rep to either credit that poster or to warn other users, because there's always the occasional spammer, LQ poster, or "shadier" member. However, these kinds of people roam the forums reaping threads of quality with barely a consequence. You can't hide bad members by hiding the bad feedback. If it were to happen, I'd recommend having 100% public rep.

Will -rep ever be reintroduced to Support Forums?

What about the members that just get mad and -rep people?

The kind that start an argument, get owned, then cry and -rep because that's their only course of action left?
(03-18-2011, 11:26 PM)Mous Wrote: What about the members that just get mad and -rep people?

The kind that start an argument, get owned, then cry and -rep because that's their only course of action left?
That's what I meant about people who abuse power to -rep. If they get mad and just -rep because of it, it's not really so much of an opinion so much as it is...a temper tantrum o_o
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Proudly collared by Viral Dragon

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
I could see how the reputation disputes at HF could have got annoying for Staff/Moderators/Admin to take care of. This is a SupportForum however, what would be the point of having -rep to add onto someone when the meaning of the forum is centralized around support?

-rep doesn't mean anything on someone's user account anyway. If they don't deserve a 1 up, then the user won't get one. Judge it accordingly that way.

People can't get annoyed at not getting a rep from someone, whereas they would get annoyed most of the time with a deduction to their rep due to a negative rep. That takes care of that, and then the higher ranked members on the forum don't have to deal with it.

That effort and time could be spend thinking of ways to improve the site instead of wasting it on dealing with "kids fighting in the sandbox." It's basically the same thing. After the dispute is dealt with, no one gets ahead anyway.
(03-18-2011, 11:27 PM)iceybunneh Wrote: That's what I meant about people who abuse power to -rep. If they get mad and just -rep because of it, it's not really so much of an opinion so much as it is...a temper tantrum o_o

Well, that *is* an opinion, however misguided and subjective
they might be.
(03-18-2011, 11:29 PM)Mous Wrote:
(03-18-2011, 11:27 PM)iceybunneh Wrote: That's what I meant about people who abuse power to -rep. If they get mad and just -rep because of it, it's not really so much of an opinion so much as it is...a temper tantrum o_o

Well, that *is* an opinion, however misguided and subjective
they might be.
Well true, it is an opinion. Just a very spur of the moment, "you pissed me off and this is what I think of you right now" kind of thing. Which usually changes once people calm down. Lol.
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
Yea I hope neg rep never returns, it just causes to many problems and requires extra staff.
(03-18-2011, 11:31 PM)iceybunneh Wrote: Well, that *is* an opinion, however misguided and subjective
they might be.
Well true, it is an opinion. Just a very spur of the moment, "you pissed me off and this is what I think of you right now" kind of thing. Which usually changes once people calm down. Lol.
[/quote]

xP Yup. Had a few different people remove rep on HF because of this.
EDIT: But the rest of my negs are from that. People who either didn't
understand my satirical humor, or got mad because they started an argument
and didn't like someone coming at them. All ub3rs, too. *obviously* but still.
I think that kinda shows that people only buy ub3r just so they can -3 people.
(03-18-2011, 11:32 PM)Mous Wrote: xP Yup. Had a few different people remove rep on HF because of this.
EDIT: But the rest of my negs are from that. People who either didn't
understand my satirical humor, or got mad because they started an argument
and didn't like someone coming at them. All ub3rs, too. *obviously* but still.
I think that kinda shows that people only buy ub3r just so they can -3 people.
Lol. My ub3r was gifted to me by someone very generous. I try to find reasons to +rep someone, though. And when you think about it, a +rep is what someone could use on this site. It could be a way to improve your posts, your thoughts, something and have someone back it up by giving you approval in the form of some green-colored love. I think that's more useful than "omg you don't like the same thing as me, neg, neg, neg"

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
(03-18-2011, 11:36 PM)iceybunneh Wrote: Lol. My ub3r was gifted to me by someone very generous. I try to find reasons to +rep someone, though. And when you think about it, a +rep is what someone could use on this site. It could be a way to improve your posts, your thoughts, something and have someone back it up by giving you approval in the form of some green-colored love. I think that's more useful than "omg you don't like the same thing as me, neg, neg, neg"

Yup. NekoChan neg'ed me for ranting about Naruto having fake ninjas.

I always +rep people on HF, especially when they neg me.
Even when I get ub3r I'm not gonna neg people.
Ain't mah style :p
(03-18-2011, 11:36 PM)iceybunneh Wrote: Lol. My ub3r was gifted to me by someone very generous. I try to find reasons to +rep someone, though. And when you think about it, a +rep is what someone could use on this site. It could be a way to improve your posts, your thoughts, something and have someone back it up by giving you approval in the form of some green-colored love. I think that's more useful than "omg you don't like the same thing as me, neg, neg, neg"

You are talking about the other forum here. However, even the positive reputation is abused there. Yet you don't see any complaints from people unless it's a negative. Most of the positive reputation awarded on that site reminds me of greetings cards. Half of them are things like "Your name is awesome" "I like you." etc.

It doesn't reflect the user's ability to be decent members when negative reputation is a factor either. One person gets a minus rep, the revenge game starts, and the other person gets the red flag for no practical reason anyways.

It causes problems for the users, and it escalates to the Staff and the Admin positions as well. There's no good to it.

(03-18-2011, 11:41 PM)Mous Wrote: Yup. NekoChan neg'ed me for ranting about Naruto having fake ninjas.

I always +rep people on HF, especially when they neg me.
Even when I get ub3r I'm not gonna neg people.
Ain't mah style :p

lol NekoChan....... I don't have anything further to say. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neutral rep giving error? D3xus 7 1,412 10-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Fragma
  we are allowed to ask for rep? +devilpsn 15 2,928 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Omniscient
  Add "don't ask for rep" in the rules. Elektrisk 13 5,180 08-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Why is there a star next to the negative rep number? Annuit Coeptis 1 798 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Jamieee
  Rep Patrick 4 1,084 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Injection