Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do you stay motivated in school?
I was a really bright and eager student from elementary to middle school. Then somewhere from middle to high school, I started gaining interests in other things, like my writing, and started slacking off. Still graduated, but just barely.

Now in college, I'm finding it really hard to keep interest in studies at all. I'm in classes that are interesting and that I really like (sociology for instance, is something I've been highly interested in for a long time). But I can't stay focused on anything. I'm busy worrying about real life issues now, like my husband's work, our life together, and balancing family and internet commitments that school is...just really boring. My parents are paying for my tuition so I can't just drop out and their point of view is that I should only be focused on my studies because school is first. But how do I get motivated to study again when there are ten thousand other distractions around and I have no real desire to? :/
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Proudly collared by Viral Dragon

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
Well, I'm never motivated when I study. I study not because I want to but I HAVE to. I just keep my mindset at that :/ Try studying in quiet places where all you can think about is what your studying. Hope this helps a bit.
I do that. I go to the campus library where they have this "quiet" section and it's just like...I don't really care about what I'm reading and it's really hard to focus :/ And then if I have my laptop on me I end up browsing other websites and I get even more distracted. I tried going to the city library where their computers have really limited internet access, but I couldn't even access the webpage I needed for class, so that was a bummer.
This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment, remember. We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
The only schooling I do now is 2 months per year for my apprenticeship, the paycheck is what keeps me going. This year was my last though, soon I'll be done the work hours and be a Journeyman and along with that comes an automatic 20% pay hike.
Look towards the future and make yourself understand that college is a crucial time in your life to prepare and learn all the necessary skills to make it successfully on your own.

You don't get another shot, this is it.
I don't splel check.
You have a real good point. I'm just at that point where I'm questioning if the field I'm in (web technology) is the field I really want to stay in. I've been looking to get into law or deep into the English field to further my writing abilities. So I think I'm at this weird point where I could either force myself to finish and get that degree or turn to another field of interest :/

Family:
HakkuR - <3 joo!
I suffer form the same kind of "issues" if you will.. I Used to bed an A* student in maths and science, But this has dropped down to a high B/low A because i see no reason in doing it. If i knew why it was going to help me in life and had some sort of relevance to what i want to do in life, i would most likely knuckle down and just do it. This doesn't happen really..

If you find anything helpful, PM me please.

Thanks.
I stay motivated by keeping it on my mind that I don't want to be like those people on the streets, wishing that they would have made the right choice instead of going down the wrong road. Also, I keep in mind that one day, I will have to provide for me and my family. So with that said, a good education (college) most likely insures you a great future if you stay committed and work hard to get where you wanna be.
Active
(03-20-2011, 10:46 AM)GrammarPhreak Wrote: I stay motivated by keeping it on my mind that I don't want to be like those people on the streets, wishing that they would have made the right choice instead of going down the wrong road. Also, I keep in mind that one day, I will have to provide for me and my family. So with that said, a good education (college) most likely insures you a great future if you stay committed and work hard to get where you wanna be.

In all fairness, plenty of those on the streets were screwed by our government. Sure, a lot of them were addicts who threw their money away, but the majority of them were people like you and I who came across hardship they just couldn't handle. Not mention a large part of them are veterans who were throw aside at the end of their duty, especially from Vietnam/Korea. And it doesn't help that our country would rather invest in useless programs and engage in foreign activity than actually take the time and help those at home that could actually use it.

I understand you use it to scare yourself into striving to do well, I just want you to understand that every time you see a poor man on the street, there's more to that story than you think.

I don't splel check.
(03-20-2011, 11:42 AM)Scalise Wrote: In all fairness, plenty of those on the streets were screwed by our government. Sure, a lot of them were addicts who threw their money away, but the majority of them were people like you and I who came across hardship they just couldn't handle. Not mention a large part of them are veterans who were throw aside at the end of their duty, especially from Vietnam/Korea. And it doesn't help that our country would rather invest in useless programs and engage in foreign activity than actually take the time and help those at home that could actually use it.

I understand you use it to scare yourself into striving to do well, I just want you to understand that every time you see a poor man on the street, there's more to that story than you think.

I do agree buddy, but as long as I do the best that I can, I will be satisfied with that.
Active