Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
degrees to look into?
Hey, i am in high school now but i was looking in to degrees i might want to look in to so i also know what high school classes to take. i was thinking computer science but reading what i have been reading it says that a lot of computer science stuff has been off shored and its extremely hard to get job with degrees in it. i want to work mostly in the fbi / cia kind of situation law enforcement. I am not completely sure what to get in to though.
[Image: psychois21.png]
This is what Virginia Tech recommends:

1. Take as much math as possible. A computer science degree requires 22 hours of math, starting with calculus. If at all possible, take a calculus course in high school.
2. Take any computer science courses that emphasize structured programming in high-level languages, or take the Advanced Placement course, if available.
3. Take physics and chemistry.
4. Do well in English. As a student in computer science, you will be required to have the equivalent of 6 credit hours of freshman writing courses, 6 hours of Writing Intensive courses, and a public speaking course. Employers who hire computer scientists need their employees to be proficient at writing reports and documentation and making oral presentations.

http://www.cs.vt.edu/undergraduate/recommended
Computer science is hard but doable.
I'm currently doing it and i wouldn't say you need to be great at maths.
It certainly would help but not essential.

If you go to university and do computer science, you'll get an honors degree or first class honors from passing it. Then you can go onto a masters and phd after.
Also computer science is one of the most employable courses there is. You're almost quaranteed a job if you pass. Well at least in the UK.
[Image: burninglove4.png]
(03-10-2011, 02:15 PM)Untouch Wrote: Computer science is hard but doable.
I'm currently doing it and i wouldn't say you need to be great at maths.
It certainly would help but not essential.

If you go to university and do computer science, you'll get an honors degree or first class honors from passing it. Then you can go onto a masters and phd after.
Also computer science is one of the most employable courses there is. You're almost quaranteed a job if you pass. Well at least in the UK.

I'm from the united states, and from what i have been reading online it seems like a lot of the jobs involving it are being outsourced, but who knows. I also am thinking about doing like a double major in Computer science / computer security. or computer science / criminal justice.
Computer engineering - Designing hardware. This can be used in many fields. IT guys get paid an average of $80 and hour.

Computer sciences and programming- This degree is used mostly for coding and databases. If you work with databases I know people getting paid over $200 p/hr. This is because you are moving info from one DB (which is coded in lets say "Code A") and you need to transfer that info into a DB that is run off of Code B.

A lot of times you can get both of these degrees in 4 years combined. Not 8, but both in the same 4 years of schooling. I know at the University of Kentucky you can do this, and I'm not sure of any others. I'm sure there are though.

In high school I am taking IT classes at a Tech School or Vocational School. We get 3 college hours per class, along with certifications like IC3, A+, Network+, etc., etc.

Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

I'm very interested in Criminal Justice, so thats what I have my eyes set on for now,I would really like to be on the S.W.A.T team or be a State Highway Patrolman.

Maybe you could look into something of that nature if it fits your personality.
[Image: sigservice212.png]

(03-10-2011, 05:43 PM)мιкe Wrote: I'm very interested in Criminal Justice, so thats what I have my eyes set on for now,I would really like to be on the S.W.A.T team or be a State Highway Patrolman.

Maybe you could look into something of that nature if it fits your personality.

I'd love S.W.A.T, but i can picture myself being more of an FBI guy myself.
(03-10-2011, 05:58 PM)Psychosis Wrote: I'd love S.W.A.T, but i can picture myself being more of an FBI guy myself.
Yeah,If you are into that field of duty then you should give it a shot Smile

After High school my dad is going to try to get me in with a department he knows pretty well and hopefully I can work my way up to the S.W.A.T team.

(03-10-2011, 06:00 PM)мιкe Wrote: Yeah,If you are into that field of duty then you should give it a shot Smile

After High school my dad is going to try to get me in with a department he knows pretty well and hopefully I can work my way up to the S.W.A.T team.

im thinking about a double major in computer science and criminal justice so i have two different things that fbi looks for. i would love to be part of the fbi's HRT though.
(03-10-2011, 06:04 PM)Psychosis Wrote: im thinking about a double major in computer science and criminal justice so i have two different things that fbi looks for. i would love to be part of the fbi's HRT though.
Yeah,I'm more of a hands on guy lol, I would want to be on the streets dealing with all the stuff.