Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Tutorial] How to Build a Custom PC
[Image: dg0Kj.png]

Tired of paying for those pre-made computers made by Dell or HP that don't perform well? Look no further, building a custom PC is your solution. In this situation you are able to get what you want, for your price. Building a custom PC gives you the "best bang for your buck." You don't need any previous experience, or even need to know how the parts of a computer actually work together. Don't let others tell you that it is hard, or that you won't be able to do it. With a few hours of research, you will have all of your parts for your custom PC and be building it in no time.

Where do I start?

Choose your parts! In all honesty, choosing out the parts for your build is more difficult than actually putting it together. From the wide range of brands for computer parts, it may be hard to choose out what you want. I recommend you stick with the well known manufacturers, as I will mention later in this tutorial. Researching different brands' equipment will make the difference when building up a knowledge base. Remember, Google is your friend. Use it!

If you need help choosing out your parts, check out Nemmyy's guide on Picking Parts For Your Custom Built Computer

What will I need?

Screwdrivers - I recommend you have an assortment of these, as there will be different sizes of screws and bolts. Phillips Headed will do most of the job, as you will rarely use flat heads.

Antistatic Wrist Strap - This is probably one of the most under looked tools when building a custom PC. This will keep you grounded, preventing any electrostatic charge you might have from your body from transferring to your computer parts. Attach one end on your wrist, and the other to something made of metal. Mind as well spend a couple bucks to avoid destroying your $1000 build, right?

Flashlight - Always handy when looking in those tight dark spots.

And of course, your parts - CPU, Motherboard, Case, RAM (Memory), Operating System, Hard Drive, and a Graphics Card.

1. Read your manuals!

What will come with your parts are numerous handbooks and manuals. Remember, these are vital when building a custom PC. Don't throw them away or ignore them! I know it is a pain in the behind, but I recommend you read all of them before actually putting anything together. When I build computers, even to this day, I still refer back to manuals. Every manufacturer does it differently, so read up!

2. Preparing the Computer Case
  • First pop off the side panel. There should be screws, sometimes thumbscrews, on the side of the case. Take those off, and you should be able to see the inside of your case.

• Inside your case you should see an assortment of wires. These are for the power button, reset button, etc. From the case, these wires will be directly connected to the motherboard for it to be able to function properly.

[Image: 5S3fX.png]

• Pop out the drive covers. On the front of the case, in most instances, there should be covers for your drives. You should be able to remove these by hand, and if you can't use a screwdriver. Read your case's manual if you are unsure on how to remove them. Remember; most of these are sharp, so be careful!

[Image: m61nG.png]

• On the back of the case, you will see a metal part with various sizes. This is called the I/O shield. This is used to protect the motherboard. In most cases, remove this one and replace it with the I/O shield that came with your motherboard.

[Image: OJ5KQ.png]

• Install your motherboard standoffs. Otherwise known as separators, these are used to create a gap from the back of the motherboard to the computer case. Because there is electricity running through the back of the motherboard, these are used to prevent them from touching. Don't install the motherboard directly on the case!

[Image: build_pc_xp2000_case_standoff_pegs.jpg]

3. Installing the Power Supply

This is a relatively simple step, and self-explanatory. This is as simple it gets folks. Tongue Dependent on your case, your power supply will either be positioned on the top or bottom of your case. There should be a huge hole, where the back of the power supply should match to. Insert it, and secure it with screws (if available).

[Image: d2GcL.png]

4. Installing the Motherboard, Connecting Power

Before starting, I recommend that you put the case on its side as I find it most easy this way. Now that your I/O shield and standoffs are correctly put in, make sure that there are no wires that might be in the way. Carefully place your motherboard in, matching the holes for the screws with the standoffs. If you are confused at all about the placement, refer to the case's manual. Once everything is in place, tighten it with screws. DO NOT tighten them too tightly as this may cause your motherboard to crack. Screw them in enough so that they are snug, and can not move.

Now that you have your motherboard screwed in, it is time to connect those wires from your power supply. Remember those wires that were hanging from your case? Those are now going to be hooked up to the motherboard. It is easiest if you refer to your motherboard's manual, as it will tell you exactly where each of the wires are plugged in.

[Image: DLGZo.png]

Following that, now plug in the 24-pin and 8-pin power connections for the motherboard.

[Image: DTeGf.png]

Remember, if you are at all confused where any wires go, refer back to your motherboard manual!

5. Installing the Processor, Zero Assertion Force!

Before I teach you how to actually install the CPU, I want to give you some insight about it. You do not want to break this part! In most cases, this part is the most expensive, and the most fragile. Installing the processor is an easy task, but it is also easy to make an error. The slightest bend of a pin, and you'll be saying goodbye to a $300 piece.
  • Open the latch and remove the cover. It should look similar to the picture below.

• Take your processor out of its case. Remember! Hold it by the sides of it, and never by the pins. Line up the CPU with the socket. Be sure that the pins are aligned.

• With ZERO ASSERTION FORCE, carefully place the processor into the socket.

• Close the cover, and secure the latch.

Installing the heatsink is fairly simple, and is explained thoroughly in the video above.

6. Installing the RAM and Hard Drive

Installing memory is a breeze.
  • Open the tabs on both sides of the memory slots.
  • Use the notch on the memory to properly align it according to the slots.
  • Once in the slot, use force to put it in. You should hear a sounds indicating that it is securely in.
  • Now that you are confident that it is properly in, close the tabs.

[Image: jlPgNg.png]

To install your Hard Drive, it varies with which case you have. In most cases, you will remove a cover, and in other cases you will have to unscrew the mount. Either way, it is explained in your case's manual. Once locked in, use the SATA cables to connect it to the motherboard. Here's another great video explaining the entire concept of installing a hard drive into a PC:

7. Installing the Graphics Card

As of today, the current interface used to connect graphics cards is PCI Express. This should be labeled, and sometimes a different color, on your motherboard. Once you have recognized where the graphics card goes, follow these instructions:
  • There should be expansion slot covers on the back of your case. Remove it according to the position of the graphics card so that there is an output on the back of your case.

[Image: jjCMR4.png]

• Now that it is aligned correctly, and securely in its slot, tighten the screw until it is snug.

[Image: jjCxrY.png]

• After that, you should have two 6-pin connectors from your power supply. This is the most common connector to graphics card. If it is different, which is possible, plug in the appropriate connector that accommodates your GPU.

[Image: jjCMR6.png]

I didn't go into much detail on how to install your operating system, as it is relatively simple. For Windows, just plop the CD in during BIOS and run the setup. If you have any further questions, please feel free to post below. I check my threads often, so I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability. On top of that, take advantage of Google and YouTube, as they are great resources.

This tutorial is made by me, Deltron, on Support Forums. If there are any grammatical errors, or flaws in the tutorial itself, please notify me and I will rectify it. Feel free share this, so long you give credit.

And there you have it folks, how to build a custom PC.

You may want to mention in the beginning that the parts you get MUST be compatible. If your processor isn't compatible w/ your mother board you are screwed. Same with RAM and power supply.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

(03-07-2011, 12:17 AM)Codad Law Wrote: You may want to mention in the beginning that the parts you get MUST be compatible. If your processor isn't compatible w/ your mother board you are screwed. Same with RAM and power supply.

I thought that would be common sense for most, but I will add it in for those who aren't very familiar with choosing their parts.

I am also thinking of making a guide on how to choose the actual parts for a custom PC. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add it in tomorrow.
(03-07-2011, 12:20 AM)Deltron Wrote: I thought that would be common sense for most, but I will add it in for those who aren't very familiar with choosing their parts.

I am also thinking of making a guide on how to choose the actual parts for a custom PC. What do you guys think?

I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe add the pros and cons for AMD and Intel. DDR3 and DDR2 stuff like that could be pretty helpful.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

(03-07-2011, 12:20 AM)Deltron Wrote: I thought that would be common sense for most, but I will add it in for those who aren't very familiar with choosing their parts.

I'm pretty comftable with PC's, how to use them well etc.
However, I have no idea which parts would be compatible, and which wouldn't.

It would be awesome if you could add that part.

Taking a look at this tutorial, it looks awesome.
-Thanks for sharing!

I have a guide for choosing parts, so once I put that back up you wanna put eachother's threads at the top?

By the way you made it seem like every graphics card needs two 6-pin connectors...mine only needs one.
My next project:
Intel vs. AMD

(03-07-2011, 08:03 AM)Nemmyy Wrote: I have a guide for choosing parts, so once I put that back up you wanna put eachother's threads at the top?

By the way you made it seem like every graphics card needs two 6-pin connectors...mine only needs one.

I saw the guide you put up, but I said you removed it. If you put it back up, then sure.

Quote:After that, you should have two 6-pin connectors from your power supply. This is the most common connector to graphics card. If it is different, which is possible, plug in the appropriate connector that accommodates your GPU.
(03-07-2011, 09:23 AM)Deltron Wrote: After that, you should have two 6-pin connectors from your power supply. This is the most common connector to graphics card. If it is different, which is possible, plug in the appropriate connector that accommodates your GPU.

I guess I read that wrong lol
The intel vs AMD will be good. Are you going to do other products too? For instance mother boaards and power supplies?
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

(03-07-2011, 02:01 PM)Codad Law Wrote: The intel vs AMD will be good. Are you going to do other products too? For instance mother boaards and power supplies?

I don't get what you want me to do. Recommend manufacturers for each computer part?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How would I improve my computer build? Sykez 8 2,230 05-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Last Post: hunterweston
  Rate My $2500~ Build Froggy 5 1,076 10-28-2014, 05:25 AM
Last Post: Reama
  New build 900$/600£ budget ÜB3R 5 1,689 02-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Last Post: illest
  Post your Build! 4Y4T3M 3 1,209 02-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Last Post: illest
  Need 6 servers Build out for self. $250 usd to best build Fallenour 0 607 08-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Fallenour