Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some basic security considerations.
Quote:itshidden is a lie, they wouldn't be able to report us to our ISP if no logs were kept.

D3N's right. I'm going to contact them and inquire about this, if possible.
(10-05-2009, 10:33 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: D3N's right. I'm going to contact them and inquire about this, if possible.

Thanks, I'm glad my find has been recognized by somebody.

I always read a user agreement, you can find some quirky stuff in every second one.
(10-05-2009, 10:49 PM)D3N Wrote: Thanks, I'm glad my find has been recognized by somebody.

I always read a user agreement, you can find some quirky stuff in every second one.

I just sent an e-mail. Their "contact us" email is support@itshidden.com.
I'll be sure to post here, should I receive a response.

And yes, it's how most of these businesses thrive Sad
(10-05-2009, 10:28 PM)D3N Wrote: itshidden is a lie, they wouldn't be able to report us to our ISP if no logs were kept.

Code:
Without prejudice to our other rights under these terms and conditions, if you breach these terms and conditions in any way, we may take such action as we deem appropriate to deal with the breach, including suspending your access to the website, prohibiting you from accessing the website, blocking computers using your IP address from accessing the website, contacting your internet service provider to request that they block your access to the website and/or bringing court proceedings against you.

Now that really surprises me!

Where did you find that quote?

I couldn't see that anywhere on their web site!

I would never have included that point in the thread, if I had known about that and I hope you all forgive that slip-up, but I just took them at their word!

The reason I dd that, is because I have spent a few years living in the Netherlands in the past, where this service is provided from, and I always thought that the Dutch people were pretty progressive, laid-back, yet very professional with it and it does come as a bit of a surprise to know that they don't seem to be doing what they say they would, or, rather they are doing, what they said that they would not be doing!

Point 5 on their main page reads as follows:

'* Total Privacy, no records of your surfing are kept by us [Paid/Free]'

Also on another page there:

'We do not store any information as we are not required to do so.'

I did wonder though, about whether or not any supposedly anonymous proxy or VPN service, who proclaim that you are completely anonymous etc, would in fact keep records, despite their privacy claims!

Maybe though, they have to say that, as a kind of disclaimer, to protect themselves, in any case of an abuse of their TOS. If they didn't say that, they may get problems, if their service was used for anything pretty bad, by whichever authority.

Also, maybe that doesn't mean that they check up on people per se,
but they do have that option, if a case arises, whereby they need to access those details.

I've amended the thread now, to highlight this point.

Thanks for pointing this out!
(10-05-2009, 10:53 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: I just sent an e-mail. Their "contact us" email is support@itshidden.com.
I'll be sure to post here, should I receive a response.

And yes, it's how most of these businesses thrive Sad

I'll be interested to know what they have to say about this
and I'll keep an eye out for any feedback you get from them.
It's in their user agreement. Read them people.

That can be referred to page view data and data about users payment methods. They don't put things into user agreement unless they have an intent of using them.
It makes no difference what they say on their main page. They aren't the word of law, and I'm sure they keep temporary records either way.
(10-06-2009, 12:58 AM)D3N Wrote: It's in their user agreement. Read them people.

That can be referred to page view data and data about users payment methods. They don't put things into user agreement unless they have an intent of using them.
It makes no difference what they say on their main page. They aren't the word of law, and I'm sure they keep temporary records either way.

Well, like I say, I didn't see that, and if that user agreement was part of the setup process, I didn't notice it at the time.

I still believe they have to include that, should their service be used for illegal acivities, they can then say that they warned people about it.

I also believe that it's there 'if' they need to use it and I still don't believe that they would need to access those details for any other reason than that type of abuse.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me, that they have my IP details on their server,
as I don't do anything online, that would abuse their service or break any laws etc and I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thinks in this way.

Still a good point you brought it up though, as it could be an issue to some.
Here's the response I got. It seems very obscure, and I am still at Point 1. Can anyone decipher this?

[Image: 95vv5u.jpg]
(10-06-2009, 01:45 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: Here's the response I got. It seems very obscure, and I am still at Point 1. Can anyone decipher this?

When you say you are at point 1, are you referring to when they say:

'They are off the shelf T&C's that we are required to have in order to process payments. We do not keep logs'....?

If so, then maybe this is just a standard thing, like a type of disclaimer, that I referred to before, meaning that if they really had to access user logs, they possibly could.

I'm inclined to believe them, only because I lived there for years, as I said,
and have a good idea, about what the Dutch people are like, being very tolerant and modern, where they allow the kind of things that are illegal in most parts of the world.

If you know any of the Dutch members from HF, maybe they could verify this.

I'm alright with it, as I do nothing wrong online.

BTW - I notice you're not shy about including your name and e-mail address there...er.....Mike....Smile
Yes, but what does T&C stand for?

I'm not going to believe that a whole group of people is like that based off of the actions of a few individuals. Businesses are all the same; all they want is money. Call me cynical if you will, but I suppose it's up to the user whether to trust the company or not. For future reference, Azerty is Dutch.

I'm not, actually. I figure if someone wanted to e-bomb me or freeze my msn, then they wouldn't need to rely on a random screenshot for my e-mail :b That's not my real name, obviously.
(10-06-2009, 02:51 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: Yes, but what does T&C stand for?

I'm not going to believe that a whole group of people is like that based off of the actions of a few individuals. Businesses are all the same; all they want is money. Call me cynical if you will, but I suppose it's up to the user whether to trust the company or not. For future reference, Azerty is Dutch.

I'm not, actually. I figure if someone wanted to e-bomb me or freeze my msn, then they wouldn't need to rely on a random screenshot for my e-mail :b That's not my real name, obviously.

Ahh, T&C = Terms and Conditions.

You say they're out to make a profit, I get that, but they do offer a good, free service though. so maybe they're not that bad.

Ja, Azerty, ik ken hem 'n heb ook met hem gesproken in de forum aan HF, waar mensen kunnen in de Nederlands taal spreken....;)

Don't know if you got that, but you're a smart sounding dude, I bet you do know what it means.

Hehe, 'Mike' eh, should have guessed it was an alias, but sounds quite real, if you know what I mean.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 43 Cyber Security Tools to Improve Your Network Security tk-hassan 0 646 01-29-2020, 04:00 AM
Last Post: tk-hassan
  [Basic Security] Test Your Security Here cheeseburger 22 7,625 04-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Resistance
  [Guide]Very basic guide for general security Zurmi 14 6,073 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Zurmi