Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu virus protection
a lot of people say you do not need an antivirus or a firewall on linux just wondering if you really do not and if you do what is some good suggestions paid and non paid for firewall and antivirus.

i tried firestarter firewall and it slowed my download speed from 150kbs to like 20kbs

maybe a more experienced linux user could write a tut for linux security.
[Image: SoulScore.jpg]
It's true, you really don't need an anti-virus or firewall on Linux. If you're really worried and think you need one your choices are really limited. But really, you don't have anything to worry about.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

Linux uses a kernel and most virus are designed for windows cause its more of a of a basic structure.with the kernel everything can be changed to your liking and that makes it hard to make a virus for it because there are so many types of linux.
[Image: fade-Signature.gif]
-Thanks Extasey Thumbsup
You can use ClamAV
[Image: 29ol3br.png]
You only need a firewall. ClamAV is for Linux servers. This firewall is sufficient.
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Gufw
Just set it to deny by default.
(10-16-2009, 02:19 PM)Pablo Wrote: Of course you need protection .

"That's what she said."

I don't use anything with my Ubuntu, been using it with no problems.
[Image: arch2.png]
Well, you could install AVG or clamAV but there's is not point of having it since it's not 'runtime' scanning, it's a 'right click, click scan' type of scanning, plus its database consists of windows malware. Very few viruses exist for linux compared to windows, and the chances of you getting infected are really, really low. For the firewall, linux has iptables, and firewalls like firestarter are actually GUI to configure the iptables (I may be wrong). Nevertheless, I suggest you use firestarter to configure it, it works great for me and my speed does not suffer from it. It also has a nifty icmp filtering option.
tried fiore startyer im a computer tech i fix windows machines all the time and fiewalls and firestarter just killed my connection i think ima try this gufw
(10-16-2009, 05:47 PM)soulscore Wrote: tried fiore startyer im a computer tech i fix windows machines all the time and fiewalls and firestarter just killed my connection i think ima try this gufw

[Image: qmvPoCcZGjbqfd318qAynSz7o1_400.jpg]

Omg how many typos are in that sentence.
yea i was at work it was almost closing time

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 7,096 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,697 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu/Basics of Ubuntu Canoris 16 9,236 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Natha