Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police exam.
Hey guys and gals Smile

Basically, I'm retesting for the Victorian Police Exam (In Australia)

I passed every section except Maths and Spelling! All up five sections, so I only retest the two I failed.

To make me feel worse I failed by ONE mark on Spelling and Maths.

I only have one more chance to pass this, (get two tries then have to wait 6months).

All I'm asking is what is a good way to study for spelling and maths?

The link for list of spelling words: http://www.vetassess.com.au/take_a_test/..._forms.cfm

Maths: Basically, it involves long division, percentages, addition, subtraction, multiplication and 'worded' questions such as buying one type of apple for this much and two of a different type for this much, with this amount of money and how much you have left over, etc!

(If you understand me)

Cheers for any help Smile
Lemme give you some copypasta advice for the math problems Smile

Quote:Addition -
-increased by
-more than
-combined
-together
-total of
-sum
-added to

Subtraction
-decreased by
-minus
-less
-difference between/of
-less than
-fewer than

Multiplication
-of
-times
-multiplied by
-product of
-increased/decreased by a
factor of (this type can
involve both addition or
subtraction and
multiplication!)

Division
-per
-a
-out of
-ratio of
-quotient of
-percent (divide by 100)

Equals
-is,
-are,
-was,
-were,
-will be
-gives,
-yields
-sold for

Note that "per" means "divided by", as in "I drove 90 miles on three gallons of gas, so I got 30 miles per gallon". Also, "a" sometimes means "divided by", as in "When I tanked up, I paid $12.36 for three gallons, so the gas was $4.12 a gallon".

Warning: The "less than" construction is backwards in the English from what it is in the math. If you need to translate "1.5 less than x", the temptation is to write "1.5 – x". Do not do this! You can see how this is wrong by using this construction in a "real world" situation: Consider the statement, "He makes $1.50 an hour less than me." You do not figure his wage by subtracting your wage from $1.50. Instead, you subtract $1.50 from your wage. So remember; the "less than" construction is backwards.

Also note that order is important in the "quotient/ratio of" and "difference between/of" constructions. If a problems says "the ratio of x and y", it means "x divided by y", not "y divided by x". If the problem says "the difference of x and y", it means "x – y", not "y – x".
Quote:My religion tells me that God made the universe. My science tells me how.

[Image: 034_p16.jpg]
(02-16-2011, 11:53 PM)Mao Wrote: Lemme give you some copypasta advice for the math problems Smile

Wow, thank you. That was actually very informative.

Also, do you know any sites which you can continually do math tests...which would be based off the above topics

Cheers

EDIT: Also, I would like to know if anyone has great tricks for doing percentages quickly and easily. As in the Maths section you have 10 Minutes to do 10 Questions.

My last attempt was foiled as I was too slow!

Cheers
Congratulations on passing the other three sections. I wish you well with re-taking the remaining two tests.

From the website you linked to, a sample test and two books are recommended. Try borrowing the books from your local library. If it is not available, the State Library of Victoria stocks copies on reserve, so you can study in the hall. You can also check if the Victoria Police Library has any study material.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/take_a_test/...e_test.cfm
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp...t_ID=12485

These online links may be helpful:

English Language Tests.
Mathematics Practice Test 1, Test 2, and Test 3.

And here is a trick for calculating percentages: (Click to View)
While I can't offer much in physical support to help, I can give you the knowledge that someone in the world is cheering you on. Good luck!
"Why judge a life you can't change?"
You are an important person who deserves to be happy.
(02-17-2011, 08:50 AM)Eve Wrote: Congratulations on passing the other three sections. I wish you well with re-taking the remaining two tests.

From the website you linked to, a sample test and two books are recommended. Try borrowing the books from your local library. If it is not available, the State Library of Victoria stocks copies on reserve, so you can study in the hall. You can also check if the Victoria Police Library has any study material.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/take_a_test/...e_test.cfm
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp...t_ID=12485

These online links may be helpful:

English Language Tests.
Mathematics Practice Test 1, Test 2, and Test 3.

And here is a trick for calculating percentages: (Click to View)

Hey Smile

Cheers for the info, I'll try and find more information on percentages.

Thankyou!

Cheers
(02-17-2011, 11:18 AM)Istandor Wrote: While I can't offer much in physical support to help, I can give you the knowledge that someone in the world is cheering you on. Good luck!

Thankyou! I really do like this forum Smile

Cheers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exam, tomorrow Shattering - 11 2,876 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Party
  Exam Help / Revision Paddy 7 1,725 06-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Last Post: SeaNanners™
  How to study for a exam! Spectrum 8 2,028 04-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Last Post: rootkit
  Got My Exam Results Yay Yay! Sam 27 5,162 09-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Pink Floyd