Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What rep has done to us???
(10-16-2009, 09:53 PM)UID=0 Wrote: I didn't read every page here, so I'm sorry if anybody else has brought this up, but most of the people here, saying that the entire reputation system is meaningless,
or complaining about it, seem to have no, or few rep points at all.

I believe that the reputation system is valid, because it can serve as an indicator,
especially to newer members here, as to what what sort of person you may be.

If nobody had any rep points, then how could anybody be able to tell, who to trust or not, when given advice about anything?

It's like in life in general, if you need advice about something in particular, which may be important, you don't just randomly go up to somebody
in the street and ask them a question, you go to somebody who you think may be experienced and trustworthy and seeing any various awards,
displayed at their place of busineess, may help you feel more confident about being able to trust them.

Even when it was allowed elsewhere, I never added something like 'Please give me a +Rep, if you found this to be helpful',
into my signature at all, and would never do that if it were to be allowed, as I don't believe that it is a good way to 'earn' a good reputation at all.

I don't think that you should expect a +Rep, if you help somebody out,
but when it does happen, it can be a good feeling to know that your efforts in trying to help were appreciated.

All valid. Problem is mate that it gets used different.
People use it to get back at others and just to be stupid.
1 post in this thread sums it up.
To the effect that. I dont care is someone -reps me because i will just do it back.
So one could imagine a helpfull person that had the help needed could infact have a -rep simply because he has someone that does not like him.
Making the rep system largely useless.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(10-16-2009, 10:11 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: All valid. Problem is mate that it gets used different.
People use it to get back at others and just to be stupid.
1 post in this thread sums it up.
To the effect that. I dont care is someone -reps me because i will just do it back.
So one could imagine a helpfull person that had the help needed could infact have a -rep simply because he has someone that does not like him.
Making the rep system largely useless.

Yeah, thanks for the support!

I guess it's impossible to please all of the people, all of the time, as has been said countless times in the history of humanity.

Besides, if everybody had the same opinion, that would be a bit dull.

Let's just hope that this site goes on to become the great site that I imagine it will become, and that this whole Rep discussion, will soon be
a faded memory.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neutral rep giving error? D3xus 7 1,400 10-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Fragma
  we are allowed to ask for rep? +devilpsn 15 2,920 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Omniscient
  Add "don't ask for rep" in the rules. Elektrisk 13 5,124 08-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Why is there a star next to the negative rep number? Annuit Coeptis 1 778 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Jamieee
  Rep Patrick 4 1,055 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Injection