Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I become a Website Developer?
Ok, so there is this local guy, a few years older than me. He is making money by making and maintaining websites for clients.

I am fairly smart and could easily do this providing I knew how. What software would I need to use to develop websites and who and where would I register my domain.

Cheers for your support guys Big Grin
Well, you could buy a domain off of www.godaddy.com .
You do not need any software (if you wanna be like I am and only use notepad), or you can use a program called DreamWeaver.
Ninja
Ok, I haven't tried coding anything as advance as a website in notepad. Could you help with with sorta thing?
Jamie, I like your enthusiasm.

First off, majority of people do not profit much off web developing unless they have tons of experience under their belt. Just like a lot of other industries it's a difficult job to make good full time cash off of.

To start, I would very much recommend looking into learning HTML / CSS at first. This will get you into basic web development and teach you how to setup a basic web page and design it. Then from there, I would recommend taking the route of learning PHP. PHP is used in a lot of websites. This website for example is developed in PHP. PHP is also a rather easy language to learn compared to many other programming languages. However, programming in general is rather difficult to learn and only a certain type of person can really get into it if you want to do it professionally.

Also, I would recommend going to college for it if it's really what you're into. Learn how to maintain the webserver too and you have even more money rolling in.

In short,

Learn HTML(Took me 3 days to master it when I was 13, seriously it's really easy)
Learn CSS(Also rather easy to learn, although I'm not a good person at colors and design)
Learn PHP(This is difficult. I've been trying to learn this for the past 5 years of my life on and off and I'm still no expert. I would give it your best shot though, it's fun learning it).

From there on out I would start developing a portfolio to get yourself started so people will say "Oh, I like this website can you make one for me?".

A good thing about website development is that you don't have to leave your house to get to work. The bad thing is that there are millions of other guys willing to do the same work as you...it'd probably be a self-employment situation.

Anyways off with my rants, http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp that site is where a lot of people begin learning HTML.

Enjoy,

Brandon
Hey, that really helps, i have been teaching my self HTML already, infact I made my first basic code today, i will sent it too you if you like, I have been trying to use a free domain with various websites by FTS do you know of any ways that this is possible? Also do you think dreamwaver is the way forward or coding all the way?

Thanks for your help man I really appreciate it Big Grin

Look forward to you response Big Grin
Id say the best ways to learn html is to look at website source codes, it gives you a good idea on the basics.

A good program to use is dreamweaver also.
(12-19-2010, 10:12 AM)JamieMiller Wrote: Hey, that really helps, i have been teaching my self HTML already, infact I made my first basic code today, i will sent it too you if you like, I have been trying to use a free domain with various websites by FTS do you know of any ways that this is possible? Also do you think dreamwaver is the way forward or coding all the way?

Thanks for your help man I really appreciate it Big Grin

Look forward to you response Big Grin

Get a free site from x10.mx and get their free domain. They have an easy to use control panel so you don't have to use FTP(not fts). Dreamweaver is for people who are more into design over coding, so no I wouldn't recommend it if you are trying to learn it. I've never used it much though.
(12-19-2010, 06:19 AM)Brandon Wrote: Jamie, I like your enthusiasm.

First off, majority of people do not profit much off web developing unless they have tons of experience under their belt. Just like a lot of other industries it's a difficult job to make good full time cash off of.

To start, I would very much recommend looking into learning HTML / CSS at first. This will get you into basic web development and teach you how to setup a basic web page and design it. Then from there, I would recommend taking the route of learning PHP. PHP is used in a lot of websites. This website for example is developed in PHP. PHP is also a rather easy language to learn compared to many other programming languages. However, programming in general is rather difficult to learn and only a certain type of person can really get into it if you want to do it professionally.

Also, I would recommend going to college for it if it's really what you're into. Learn how to maintain the webserver too and you have even more money rolling in.

In short,

Learn HTML(Took me 3 days to master it when I was 13, seriously it's really easy)
Learn CSS(Also rather easy to learn, although I'm not a good person at colors and design)
Learn PHP(This is difficult. I've been trying to learn this for the past 5 years of my life on and off and I'm still no expert. I would give it your best shot though, it's fun learning it).

From there on out I would start developing a portfolio to get yourself started so people will say "Oh, I like this website can you make one for me?".

A good thing about website development is that you don't have to leave your house to get to work. The bad thing is that there are millions of other guys willing to do the same work as you...it'd probably be a self-employment situation.

Anyways off with my rants, http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp that site is where a lot of people begin learning HTML.

Enjoy,

Brandon

I have to agree with you on almost everything you said.
PHP isn't hard to become expert. ( Not saying I am myself. ) It just requires more dedication than HTML and CSS.
If you are starting learning CSS/HTML make sure you learn it the right way. Start with W3. =)
(12-19-2010, 03:07 AM)CrzYMikE Wrote: Well, you could buy a domain off of www.godaddy.com .
You do not need any software (if you wanna be like I am and only use notepad), or you can use a program called DreamWeaver.

Never use goddady.com to register a domain. They end up screwing you over and it's too much to deal with. Register at http://www.moniker.com

Also download Notepad++ for your editing...and if you want to take it to the next setup purchase Dream Weaver.
(12-22-2010, 04:07 PM)Laugh Wrote: Never use goddady.com to register a domain. They end up screwing you over and it's too much to deal with. Register at http://www.moniker.com

Also download Notepad++ for your editing...and if you want to take it to the next setup purchase Dream Weaver.

I don't think that it's good to take away the coding part by hand. I find if you move to a IDE it takes too little work to make a website.
I personally like the coding part.
[Image: logo2.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A way for your website to be successful WEBSITE TRAFFIC!! utubeboosterr 2 2,051 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Relapse