Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble writing essays! [English]
Today, I had my cross-grade exam(mid term) and I just sat there for an hour and 15 minutes. I am horrible at writing essays, the topics were "real leadership has 3 things" and "texting has more negative than positive results in teenagers." I decided to pick the leadership one. I was suppose to write a 5 paragraph essay on the topic I picked and it is worth 5% of my mark. When we started I drew a web and I put 3 things, which was patience, self esteem, and intelligence and planning. I just stopped after that and the exam went into my lunch period. I got a second chance to do it again in another class. I have no idea how to write an essay, I got around 50-60% on my report card.
You could start off for 10 minutes making a small, simple plan. With main topics of what you will talk about and then linking off with quotes and other little facts.
Thats how I do it for a general essay.
Just start writing single sentences about any ideas. Once you have that, connect those ideas with "fluff". Make sure you have a sentence per point, and you should be good.

Also make sure your intro paragraph goes from the general to specific and vice versa for your conclusion paragraph.
Want to discuss Google's new Nexus 7 tablet?
Want to try and win Google Play credits and Nexus 7 cases?

Nexus 7 Forums
When you get a topic, do a brainstorm or a bubble type chart (free writing without fixing any grammer errors or spelling mistakes) and then pick which one you have the most points on the write the essay. Then orgranize it and write in detail to make it a little bit longer. It will only takes you like 5 minutes to quickly draw up something then write it.
I know what you mean, essays aren't my best skill. I actually thought I'd get a 60% on my mid, but I actually slid by and got an 80%. The teacher was mad, because I scratched the surface just enough to the point she couldn't give me 70%.

Plan before you do essays, I could have gotten a 90% if I had just planned.
Yeah, I find making bulletpoints helps my writing a lot, even if I don't admit it. Even just so I know I didn't leave something out, and I can tell about how long my essay will be.

Nexus 7 Forums
(01-17-2011, 08:13 AM)Quinlan Wrote: Yeah, I find making bulletpoints helps my writing a lot, even if I don't admit it. Even just so I know I didn't leave something out, and I can tell about how long my essay will be.

Yep, I hate admitting it too... I like to say "Oh, I can do it off the top of my head!"
(01-17-2011, 08:41 AM)The Anarchist Wrote: Yep, I hate admitting it too... I like to say "Oh, I can do it off the top of my head!"

Yeah, it's a lot different when I'm typing, but there isn't a worse feeling that noticing you forget to add a couple key points to a paper.

Nexus 7 Forums
The 1st thing to do is try to get that thesis all finished correctly. Once you have done that then the rest is easy to follow. So spend about 6 minutes thinking of a thesis with your 3 points in it.
Just plan ahead, make a little graph of what your topic is and go from there.
"Why judge a life you can't change?"
You are an important person who deserves to be happy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Essay Writing Help classic writer 7 2,472 04-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Last Post: johansmith688
  Spoken English Classes in Gurgaon luciferjonas007 0 541 02-05-2020, 03:12 AM
Last Post: luciferjonas007
  Need Writer for English datasync 7 1,963 06-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Last Post: JoseSheehan
  Macbeth, English homework help asap! para67 1 1,251 09-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Last Post: anafaffep
  I would like to offer my essay writing support JamesPeter 0 841 07-29-2015, 12:13 AM
Last Post: JamesPeter