Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Story I was working on.
How is it? I'm still somewhat new to writing.
Quote:There was once a young man named Jorge Johnson. He played hockey. He had no idea how to fly, so he looked for a mentor to teach him how to fly. He searched everywhere, but no one would or could help him. That is until he found a man named Herman Howard. This is their saga.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jorge was scheduled for a meeting with Herman Monday at 7a.m. He was instructed to meet him at the dock with a bicycle. He had no bicycle, so along with the $50 fee he had to pay to learn to fly, he had to pay $70 for a bike. He was waiting for Herman for at least thirty straight minutes. He was about to leave when He heard a yell. It came from the sky. It was Herman. He was flying. Oh, the irresistibility of flying. That is what gave him the push to learn to fly.
When Herman landed, Jorge thanked him for allowing him to learn from him. Herman punched him. “What was the for?”, Jorge yelled in response. “You are mad?” Herman questioned. “No, but why--”, Herman cut him off with another blow to the face. “Dude! What the hel--” he was cut with a blow to the gut.
“You need to be mad in order to fly. Not the punch someone mad, but the controlled mad.” Herman explained. “Well I am about to hit you back.” Jorge warned. “So, you are mad, yes?”, Herman questioned. “Yeah, but I still--” Interrupted with a last blow to the head, knocking him out.
Waking up from his unconsciousness, Jorge felt dizzy and uncoordinated. He then realized where he was. He was in the sky. “I am flying. Maybe that idiot wasn’t as crazy as I thought, but how did I get up here?” “You are awake.”, Herman stated. “Yeah, but how did I get up her--” interrupted with a blow to the groin. He was about to say something, then he realized he didn’t feel it, or at least not much.
“Did you feel that?” Herman pondered. “Barely.”, Jorge quizzically answered. “So it worked.” “What worked?” Jorge questioned. “The medicine. It makes you not feel much.” “So, how do I get down from here?” Jorge warily asked. “You don’t you aren’t flying, I am. I can make people fly, but I will not do it anymore, understand?” Herman instructed. “Yes, but is this part of the lesson?” Jorge asked. “In a way. I am helping your body feel what flying is like. It would potentially be dangerous if you had no experience in the air on your first flight.”
“So, when do I start learning?”
“Right now.”, Herman said boldly. He then let go of Jorge and he was no longer flying, but falling. Jorge yelled. Herman flew down to Jorge and said “You must push yourself to fly. You need to visualize yourself flying before you can flying.” Herman stated strongly. “But I can’t. How high are we anyway?” Jorge asked. “23,000 feet. We still have a moment before you die.”, Herman said. “I thought you said this was just an experience!” Jorge yelled.
“You’re experiencing something aren’t you?” Herman said.

[Image: hfYti]
Not very exciting. YOu need to catch the readers eye!
(12-12-2010, 07:05 PM)Marvel Wrote: Not very exciting. YOu need to catch the readers eye!
How do you suggest I do that?

[Image: hfYti]
Show, don't tell.

get rid of dead passive verbs and it would be great.
i say more detail to let the reader connect easier and experience the book rather then just read it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Five Word Story Minus-Zero 781 251,380 11-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Last Post: SynorisTechnologies
  [Narrative Story] Empty Creatures Froggy 6 1,757 10-15-2016, 03:19 AM
Last Post: thomasf2220
  Creepy story - Curiosity thespragg 2 1,199 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Dubai
  Short Story, don't know if I should continue. Speak 2 1,469 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Dubai
  A Light In The Window, Short Story. Barneyyz™ 19 3,046 11-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Rainbow Dash