Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science, kinetic energy+frequency formula help...
Ok you clicked this thread so i hope you know the formula for frequency/kinetic energy, Now I have to solve a word problem like this:

K-Energy: An object has a mass of 5 kilograms, and its velocity is 45ms². Calculate the kinetic energy for this object.

Frequency: Theres a wavelength of 0.050m, and wave speed of 25ms−1. Find the frequency.

Please help/explain. my teacher just gives it to us straight out, and expects us to figure it out on the spot. Sad

[Image: t5BWm.png]
Ek = (1/2)mv^2

Ek = (1/2) x 5kg x (45m/s^2)^2
[without units = Ek = (1/2) x 5 x (45)^2]

Ek = Answer

The other one is potential energy which gets converted into kinetic energy when in motion.
Mechanical energy always stays the same (Ek + Ep) < the ratio between potential energy and kinetic energy changes though.
(12-05-2010, 07:54 PM)Infinity Wrote: Ek = (1/2)mv^2

Ek = (1/2) x 5kg x (45m/s^2)^2
[without units = Ek = (1/2) x 5 x (45)^2]

Ek = Answer

The other one is potential energy which gets converted into kinetic energy when in motion.
Mechanical energy always stays the same (Ek + Ep) < the ratio between potential energy and kinetic energy changes though.
Wow Infinity, you are one smart mother@#cker... Teach me your ways, lol jk, but ya you just find the formula, square the mass, and plug in. I haven't done equations like this in forever. Ninja
[Image: nt18.png]
You are 1 person out of over 8 billion people on 1 planet out of 8 planets in 1 out of 100 billion solar systems in 1 out of 100 billion galaxies and you are enormously insignificant.

(12-05-2010, 08:42 PM)null_trace18 Wrote: Wow Infinity, you are one smart mother@#cker... Teach me your ways, lol jk, but ya you just find the formula, square the mass, and plug in. I haven't done equations like this in forever. Ninja

Yeah, no kidding. I would of had no clue how to do this.
"I'm not slacking off... my code it compiling"
lol thanks, I still remember my physics, I have a physics degree that is almost useless to me right now anyway.
didn't know there was a second question, lol I missed that..

Here we use lambda for the wavelength, velocity as indicated by "v" in m/s, and "f" is the frequency in Hz. I wasn't sure if you meant 25m/s to the power of -1, but if you did, you can probably just sub in the number for yourself in my equation. I used the MathType tool to create the formulas and equation.

[Image: physics.png]

Gave you a cool visual as well Smile
KE = 1/2mv^2
M = Mass
V = Velocity
(12-06-2010, 08:21 AM)Infinity Wrote: lol thanks, I still remember my physics, I have a physics degree that is almost useless to me right now anyway.
didn't know there was a second question, lol I missed that..

Here we use lambda for the wavelength, velocity as indicated by "v" in m/s, and "f" is the frequency in Hz. I wasn't sure if you meant 25m/s to the power of -1, but if you did, you can probably just sub in the number for yourself in my equation. I used the MathType tool to create the formulas and equation.

[Image: physics.png]

Gave you a cool visual as well Smile

gimme your brain and/or become my maths and physics tutor. kthx
(12-12-2010, 05:45 PM)God Wrote: gimme your brain and/or become my maths and physics tutor. kthx

This is easy stuff, it gets a lot more complicated when you reach the level of equations for black holes and other things like that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need to think of a science experiment quickly :S ONeShoT 6 948 12-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Ponygon
  Energy Consumption Grin 1 576 05-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Deity
  Nuclear science Mr.Ninja 0 554 04-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Mr.Ninja
  How good are you with applied science ... ? Project- 0 594 02-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Project-
  H/W Help - Science - Chemistry Sykez 7 1,057 05-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: rooneyful