Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batch?
I was looking through the Coding tab, after a previous view on another thread I was reading... I was wondering where the forum was for .bat? It's a pretty universal type of programming so I just thought i'd point that out.
(11-21-2010, 10:29 PM)Infinity Wrote: I was looking through the Coding tab, after a previous view on another thread I was reading... I was wondering where the forum was for .bat? It's a pretty universal type of programming so I just thought i'd point that out.

If by universal you mean limited to Windows and with limited functionality at that, then you're absolutely correct. The most appropriate section for now is the Microsoft Support forum. Though again, here's another reason why a general programming forum would be helpful. It'd serve as a catch-all for any uncovered languages as well as language-independent topics.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!
(11-21-2010, 11:07 PM)Disease Wrote: If by universal you mean limited to Windows and with limited functionality at that, then you're absolutely correct. The most appropriate section for now is the Microsoft Support forum. Though again, here's another reason why a general programming forum would be helpful. It'd serve as a catch-all for any uncovered languages as well as language-independent topics.

I meant universal as in one of the most basic well-known languages out there for Windows. No, the Microsoft Support section is not the most appropriate section for it. On his other site he has it in the programming area. The computer coding area doesn't say it's for Linux only or Windows only, which is why it should go in there with the rest of the programming forums like C++ and Ruby.

We do have a general programming forum area. But if you wanted to define them as Windows and Linux types. Then if Omni wanted he could have a section for Windows programming languages, and others. But that is not neccessary really. All he's need to do is name this one:

"Batch (for Windows)"

Or he could have the general programming languages under a category and the rest in another like this...

General Programming languages>
  • Ruby
  • C++
  • ect...

Others>
  • Windows
    • Batch

**If that's what you meant, then I think that would be a good idea too. But batch should be added for sure.
I fail to see how the organization of Hack Forums bears any importance here. Just because he has done something one way there does not mean it will be done similarly here. And no, we do not have a general programming forum. We have forums for PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, Perl, .NET and databases. We have no implementation-independent forum. All of them are specific to a given language, technology or field.

What I meant, though I guess I worded myself poorly, was that we need a general forum in the coding area. One that is acceptable for any language that doesn't have a specific forum of its own. This would not only allow us to post threads about other languages but also language-independent topics such as design patterns, version control, etc.

I mentioned the Microsoft forum being the best place for batch in the mean time because it's the most relevant forum. Compared to every other forum here at SF, the Microsoft Support forum is the only place where a batch discussion would actually make sense.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!
This has been suggested before and we've had an answer from Omniscient, for future reference please use the search feature to check if a question or suggestion has been discussed previously.

Omniscient Wrote:Batch files are cute but don't server a great purpose. I don't see it being big section here and until we've had significant growth I don't see that area being popular. Sorry.

See whole thread here http://www.supportforums.net/showthread.php?tid=7896

~ Sam

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New forum in coding support - Batch ,Shell, Dos and Command Line Interpreters Cyber-Security 8 1,029 07-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Witch
  [Suggestion]Batch File Section[Suggestion] Thomas 10 2,230 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Reality