Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Decrease Computer Boot Time - System Configuration [Tutorial]
Quote:
I am saying that the registry is not a file system so don't treat it as such.

I didn't say it was a filesystem, but it is like a database, so technically it can be considered such. Registry files aren't just floating pieces of information, they are stored in the registry, which does take up space on a hard drive like regular files do, the significance of them in terms of size is so small that most people don't realize that though. For example, a registry key itself is an object or an item that can both contain data/information and also links to it's sub-keys, making it similar to a directory system, so i'll have to correct you there.

Quote:Yes, the registry does, but that isn't what I was talking about. Registry cleaners do clean file extensions that are unused, but what happens when you actually do use that file extension? You don't have it anymore. Big mess up.

It wouldn't be considered unused then. And if it was to be reused, something such as an install would have to add that back into the registry. It's part of the application's job to ensure that it has a file signature assigned to it. Like perl (.pl), photoshop (.psd), and others.

Quote:You just said it causes harm? I see you are getting mine and Quintus's point. It doesn't matter how experienced you are. Not the average user knows anything about the Windows Registry

No, I said it 'can', but just like manual registry edits, there's more than one way to mess up a registry. Not to mention even regular computer use can mess up the registry, as well as not fixing corrupted entries or entries with errors in a system hive for the registry. You still need to read my post, because I had already explained that in my other post after Quintus.

Quote:Alright, it won't affect computer performance because I can add a ton of fake files and values and it won't noticeably affect speed at all.

Have you done that yet?... Still not a valid proof statement to me. Also, I mentioned that it wasn't necessarily the size of the registry that would affect performance, so that's not the only thing either.

Quote:It takes about a microsecond to do that

Not if the registry entries are damaged, it takes a bit of computer computing to determine a solution to that.

Quote:No, not ComodoFix. ComboFix. A expert security analyst tool. It has a feature where it will automatically clean orphaned start up entries when it is ran. These are the only orphaned registry entries that can safely be cleaned. It too will sometimes make mistakes & mess the OS up.

If you're into the registry you might as well clean the rest of the unused files and erroneous entries. On that small of a scale for cleaning the registry wouldn't make much sense to me. If you know what you're doing you'll make a backup in case of a screw up also. As long as you put it in an easily accessible place for a command line, such as the C drive, then you can merge it back into the registry even if you can't login and it messes up terribly. I've been using registry cleaners for years though (probably more than 8 years by now) and i've never came to a BSOD or a black screen of death. Therefore I can easily say that it works for me because i've had my Windows 2000 machine and my XP for each over 5 years now.

Quote:Is that supposed to be relevant?

Yes I went into a lot more detail about things i'm talking to you about in this post right now, but I really don't want to have to use copy and paste to repeat my post.
Thanks for the share Smile
Very intresting post. Ill have to try this. Cutting half the boot time sounds great. Also thanks for recommending to clean my registery. Ill use ccleaner like you suggested. Maybe if I do this I can redownload trials again Smile ... atleast thats what I heard. I'll give it a try.
[Image: a64119.gif]
Thanks again!
I told my friend about it and he thanked me Smile
[Image: blackghost1.png]
Nice tutorial! Im gona use it!
(05-30-2011, 05:46 AM)Atthackers Wrote: Nice tutorial! Im gona use it!

lol as an excuse to get another post closer to the support feather or are you actually going to use it? Smile
thanks for this informative thread. Big Grin i just changed the boot time only. hehe
[Image: ic4Itm.png]
Cute tutorial, you can also use CCleaner and Windows 7 Manager. Great tutorial for beginners.
Hi Blackhat

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TuToRiAl] Change Command Prompt Text Color [TuToRiAl] Resistance 63 24,394 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Resistance
  [Tutorial] How to Prevent Computer Viruses Deltron 62 26,537 03-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Last Post: redpois0n
  Updating/Fixing your Boot Sector Guideline [System Repair Disk] AceInfinity 0 907 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Boot.SDI $Extend Meta Directory? AceInfinity 4 3,451 12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  [TuToRiAl][ReAd Me] Introducing Windows's Best Friend, Taskkill [ReAd Me][TuToRiAl] Resistance 2 2,465 04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spectrum