Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desktop starting from disk help?
Okay so I just took my desktop computer to my friends house and when I hooked it up and then turned it on, it went and froze when I got to the desktop. I shut it off and now it freezes everytime I do startup repair, start normally or safemode. I assumed it was a problem with the drivers and tried to reinstall windows but this is where the problem is, whenever I plug in my external disk drive and then put in Windows setup I start from disk and it just ignores the disk and trys to start up normally. I have set the boot order to start the disk first and I've pressed F8 to go to the screen where it asks you to choose what to boot from. The farthest I'Ve gotten is the screen that says "Press any key to boot from disk..". Help anyone?! I custom built my desktop if that matters.
Well, Was it working perfect before you took over to your friends house?
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back".
[Image: siggy.png]
MSN: Xzotic@live.com
(11-13-2010, 06:22 PM)Xzotic Wrote: Well, Was it working perfect before you took over to your friends house?

Yes it was. The car ride could have knocked parts loose but everything seems to be working.
I would imagine like you said that something got bumped loose..... OR Your hard drive got completely messed up. I would check your RAM. Make sure its all in nicely. Check your power.. I would just re-assemble the computer from scratch again.
(11-13-2010, 06:36 PM)Xzotic Wrote: I would imagine like you said that something got bumped loose..... OR Your hard drive got completely messed up. I would check your RAM. Make sure its all in nicely. Check your power.. I would just re-assemble the computer from scratch again.

Okay I'll try that but do you know how I can get my computer to reinstall windows?
Well, Just make sure everything is Plugged in first, and then try again.. and if that doesnt work, we can move on from there.
(11-13-2010, 07:04 PM)Xzotic Wrote: Well, Just make sure everything is Plugged in first, and then try again.. and if that doesnt work, we can move on from there.

I did that and nothing seemed to change.
I'd think that you have a bad sector in your Hard Disk. They don't like being moved around a lot.
(11-13-2010, 09:29 PM)Infinity Wrote: I'd think that you have a bad sector in your Hard Disk. They don't like being moved around a lot.

How can I fix this? It won't let me boot from disk.
(11-13-2010, 10:55 PM)Shippage Wrote: How can I fix this? It won't let me boot from disk.

from a disk or your Hard Drive? I don't understand now. You have an image that you want to boot? or you're still trying to boot from your Hard Drive? If you have a bad sector on your hard drive, then there's not much you can do. I would try for a repair though. Some hard drives have spare sectors, which will allow you to do this. But if that fails then you'll have to replace it.

This usually is common if something hits your hard drive. You need to store them in static bags as well. There's lots of precautions you have to take with a hard drive. It's not just like a piece of metal that you can jam into your computer and connect to your motherboard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I get more disk space?! Hettie 2 635 04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Failed to boot disk, insert system disk and press enter Red1 6 1,350 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Fetus Flipper
  Disk Defragmenter Liberty 6 909 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Alabaster