Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monolithic housing
Monolithic homes seem like a great investment, they cannot be damaged by storm damage, insects, decay, earthquakes, or even fires!

The spherical shape allows the wind to flow over the home in an aerodynamically efficient manner, these homes have even been proven to withstand direct hits from violent tornadoes.

As a meteorologist, I am campaigning for a complete overhaul of the housing industry, the current homes are very unsafe in the event of a severe weather event, the walls and roof absorb massive pressure due to the winds.

I plan on making my own soon, they're quite cheap when you factor in the long term advantages, the structure is essentially destruction-proof, which will lower insurance, the home takes HALF the energy of a conventional home, they look pretty awesome also. Big Grin

This the same structural design that withstood the 10th most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded, Hurricane Ivan, and only received damage due to the 15 foot storm surge that last for hours, and this home was literally right on the beach without protection.

Here you can see how well the home stood up to Ivan, when many other homes couldn't.

[Image: P9230045.JPG]

As you can seem, the only thing damaged was the wooden stair-casing, pretty impressive for a storm with 165mph winds!
I sit in this small hole and think

the voices aren't real

but they have the most beautiful ideas.
Wow, that's actually really neat. I've never heard of this type of housing until now. I'm now off to read more about monolithic housing. Thanks for teaching me something new.
That is interesting and they do look cool. How much do they usually cost?
(11-09-2010, 09:40 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: That is interesting and they do look cool. How much do they usually cost?

They're actually cheaper than normal houses!

They may cost a bit more during the initial building stages, but you get incredible efficiency, both energy and space wise.

the voices aren't real

That's cool, where are you from that you're building one? I think it'd be really weird building one where I live since there are only normal houses everywhere haha
(11-09-2010, 09:56 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: That's cool, where are you from that you're building one? I think it'd be really weird building one where I live since there are only normal houses everywhere haha

I live in Ohio currently, but I doubt this will be where I settle down.

the voices aren't real

I don't really think it would be a nice play to live.. But i don't really know anything that type of houses