Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Free Antivirus?
(01-11-2012, 05:35 PM)-Slick- Wrote: A good, err.... Decent anti-virus is AVG. I'd rather not use it, as I am not using an Anti-virus at the moment, but I'd rather crack some keys for ESET NOD32. It is a great anti-virus to use, and it has good protection. Good luck.

AVG is horrible. It hasn't detected any of the advanced viruses i've had in archives on my computer before. Hardly any of them were detected or even came up with a notification. It's hardly even a sponsored AV because it sucks lol. MSE is much better than AV, and it's free.
Avira is by far the best free anti virus out at the moment. If i was you though i would personally get nod32 or smart security 5 as they have a extremely high detection rate but also very light weight on processor and ram resources Thumbsup
(01-17-2012, 02:34 AM)ÜB3R Wrote: Avira is by far the best free anti virus out at the moment. If i was you though i would personally get nod32 or smart security 5 as they have a extremely high detection rate but also very light weight on processor and ram resources Thumbsup

High detection rate with a high percentage of false positives however.
I used AVG up until a few years ago, wouldn't recommend it. I've been using Avast since and it seems to do the job, I'm don't use Windows a whole lot any more however so there may be something better, I just don't really have the need to look in to it.
[Image: rV1E9.png]
(01-23-2012, 05:32 AM)Zoidberg Wrote: I used AVG up until a few years ago, wouldn't recommend it. I've been using Avast since and it seems to do the job, I'm don't use Windows a whole lot any more however so there may be something better, I just don't really have the need to look in to it.

+1 on this post, AVG sucks...

I'd go with MSE without hesitation over choosing AVG, not that i'm saying MSE is bad, because it's very decent. It's just that it's the better alternative undoubtedly with free software.
(01-23-2012, 08:21 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: +1 on this post, AVG sucks...

I'd go with MSE without hesitation over choosing AVG, not that i'm saying MSE is bad, because it's very decent. It's just that it's the better alternative undoubtedly with free software.

Would you recommend MSE over Avast? I've tended away from MSE because of some (perhaps misconceived) opinions from users on other forums that I post on.
(01-23-2012, 11:59 AM)Zoidberg Wrote: Would you recommend MSE over Avast? I've tended away from MSE because of some (perhaps misconceived) opinions from users on other forums that I post on.

AVAST is rated pretty high, but so is MSE, and the only difference I see is that AVAST is a somewhat notorious BSOD cause based on the crash dumps i've analyzed and along with several other opinions i've heard as well.

But MSE is also lightweight, and from my experience with AVAST (starting my personal opinion statement here soon) I hated the nonstop notifications it gave out.
(01-23-2012, 12:09 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: AVAST is rated pretty high, but so is MSE, and the only difference I see is that AVAST is a somewhat notorious BSOD cause based on the crash dumps i've analyzed and along with several other opinions i've heard as well.

But MSE is also lightweight, and from my experience with AVAST (starting my personal opinion statement here soon) I hated the nonstop notifications it gave out.

Fair enough, I think I'll have a look at MSE. After all, it's not hard to switch back if I find I don't like it. Thanks for the information.
I would say avast is one of the best free antivirus programs.
I use Avast and its amazing! Smile) I like it better then AVG..
[Image: IYOy9.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antivirus working properly? [Test] AceInfinity 12 3,255 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Dashie
  Best/Good antivirus? Lеgеnd 18 4,378 12-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Last Post: prince_of_persia