Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SF Reviews] Irssi
This is my first review, if it is sloppy please tell me and I will go back and fix parts that are vague. Thank you.

Program name: IRSSI

Information about the program: IRSSI is an Internet Relay Chat made for more advanced computer users. It uses a CLI (Command Line Interface), but is very lightweight and easy to use once you know how to use it. You must know the channel and server name when using irssi, as it will not connect you automatically to the channel.

Compatability: Comptatible with: Mac/Linux/Windows.

How to use:
NOTE: Anything in parantheses are not instructions. Instructions end before parantheses.
- Windows users: Run the .exe. (I do not have a Windows VM at this time so I cannot give full instructions on how to use it)
- Linux Users:
- Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install irssi (enter password, then after it is done, you will be brought back to the normal command line. Type 'irssi' without quotes and it will launch into the interface.
- Fedora/Red Hat Linux: su -c 'yum install irssi' (Enter password when prompted, hit 'y' for yes, and then wait for install to complete. Then type 'irssi' and it will launch.
- Other distros can be found on the download page.
- Mac Users:
- MacPorts (I don't use Mac OS X, so this should work, but not 100% sure).
- sudo port install irssi (The install should be like the Ubuntu or Fedora ones, but I am not sure with this either. If you know, please reply and I will add it in with your name. Thank you.

Picture(s) of the program:
Example Install (UBUNTU 10.10) SIX (LARGE) Screenshots of how to use (Click to View)

COMMANDS: (Only Must-Know)
  • /server *.*.* - Join the server, just like a website. ie; /server hub.malvager.com
  • /j #channel - Join the channel. You NEED the number sign (#). ie; /j #hackforums
  • /wc - Window Close. Because you can join multiple channels if you ever want to close any this is how. ie; /wc
  • /nick - Change your nick. ie; /nick brian
  • /msg - Message a user. ie; /msg Brian hey (You need a message in order for it to make another chat window. If you wish to register your username/nick (you should) do this: /msg nickserv HELP - This will give you a list of commands as well. Or /msg nickserv help register.
  • Alt + Arrow (left or right) - Switches the Window you are in. ie; You are in #linux, but you also have #windows open to the right. Alt + Right and you move there, etc.
  • /quit - Exit irssi. ie; /quit

Personal Opinion: I personally like this program a lot. It is easy to get used to even though it looks like it is a real pain. I like how it is extremely lightweight and you can move around and close the Windows very fast. Extremely fast setup since it is such a small program. It does not update a lot, and has very few bugs. Perfect because you rarely have to worry about updating.

Rating out of 10: I would give this a 7.5/10. Although it may be a great program to use, it offers little to no support in actually using it from what I've seen out of it. You mostly have to learn how to use it on your own. It is very easy to get used to though, as I said, but it should have a walkthrough that is easy to access, or maybe a default server setting. If there is one and I just haven't found it, my bad.

Download link:
- Below is the normal download page. However, the Windows one is different due to it being an executable. Download is listed as well.
- Download: http://irssi.org/download
- Windows: http://irssi.org/files/irssi-win32-0.8.12.exe
You've hit the nail on the head; this is a fantastic review.
In response to your PM - The review template is only for guidance, I have no problem with you adding additional sections like you have done. The current review template is pretty basic; I'll update it when we acquire more group members.
[Image: 3326yvl.jpg]

Thanks Skill, and okay. I just didn't know if it was in order, I guess it is Smile
Very nice review indeed Reality, keep the good work up. Confusedmile:
[Image: Navineous.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SF Reviews] ScreenSnapr Oliver 15 2,017 12-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Last Post: D Generation X
  [SF Reviews] Review Requests Skill 14 2,602 10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Oliver
  [SF Reviews] Archive Skill 4 1,183 12-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Skill
  [SF Reviews] Virtual Box OSE Reality 10 1,531 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Last Post: єץє