Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Mybb][Tutorial] A few minor steps to setting up your theme!
Hello friends today we will discuss how to setup your new theme you just got.

Questions to Consider:
Here are a few questions to consider before we start:
Is my theme a dark/light based theme?
Is the design complicated?

Answer:
Now let's go over some of those. To start what type of theme do you have? If it's a light theme please disregard this paragraph. Now if it's dark theme you are going to have to get some new things. To name a view, New icons location in (/images) images directory of your forum. Many mybb sites have things to help make this easier. But of course it just makes it all un original. So if I were you I would go to one of the following sites and look for icons there.

www.iconfinder.com - Great site you can search by the size of the icon your looking for, my personnel favorite.
www.iconarchive.com - Another user friendly site but not as easy to find things as icon finder.

Some things though you don't have to worry about the icons. Such as a theme I use on my site www.cyberloft.net the only images I had to worry about were the Post Icons and the Smileys. I may not have this completely right but mybb icons that come with it now usually you don't have to worry about non transparent borders of your images because there already transparent, you use to have to worry about that but now you don't. But of course you can still find your own icons to use if you so choose, if you do make sure the icon your trying to replace has the same name as your new icon and you just over right it. Need to also make sure that the size of the icon is the same or very close to it.

Smileys:
Now let's discuss the smileys now.
Smileys are going to be very crazy on a new theme if it's dark, if it's light then I would do this anyway so you have somewhat of originality, also if you switch to a dark theme in the near future you won't have to worry about this.

Here are some good transparent smiley packs.
Post Icons:
I was considering of releasing my pack but I decided not to this really wouldn't be a tutorial if I just provided anything so just search for some good 16x16 icons, on the site links I provided earlier.

Other Changes:
Now if you are changing a theme and you have plugins that require you to implement it into your theme then you should probably just disable/enable the plugin and let it ad itself again (only a select few plugin's do that). But if you are like me and there is to much information entered into the plugins that you have enabled. Then you have to go manually add each plugin in your template again. Such as my awards for me I had to edit it because on my theme in the postbit there are boxes around like everything little user's stats so I had to add to add it to the profiles manually and the postbit. Most plugins you can easily add the plugins into your template pretty easily. Like My awards and Easy Refer plugins are easily defined within the template all you have to really do is just hit ctrt+F and search part of the plugin name a key word.

I didn't figure this tutorial required screen shots but if I'm missing anything then let me know Smile

Hope I covered some useful information. This is my first mybb tutorial so if I missed anything or got something wrong then please let me know Big Grin

Thanks!

Please do not repost without my permission.
For more exclusive content please check out my signature.
[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
Nice. Thanks for posting x)
Thanks
No problem hope you all enjoy it Smile
Quite simple and basic. Not amazingly detailed but I do think it's a good simple tutorial. I agree with quite a few things you said and for the record I think iconarchive is simply brilliant.

I can see from looking at your sites theme that you know what you're talking about.

Also guys, visit MyBBCentral.com to give your site that extra flare. The awesome plug-ins found there can really improve your site.
(10-27-2010, 03:46 AM)Sam Wrote: Quite simple and basic. Not amazingly detailed but I do think it's a good simple tutorial. I agree with quite a few things you said and for the record I think iconarchive is simply brilliant.

I can see from looking at your sites theme that you know what you're talking about.

Also guys, visit MyBBCentral.com to give your site that extra flare. The awesome plug-ins found there can really improve your site.
Thank you. I've always liked Mybb central, Mybb-plugins.com and Mybbsource.com.
All are great sites.
I guess you've subscribed to MyBBCentral.com? When I did it really improved my forums. Well worth it.
Thanks, This will help a lot of newbies who want to make there own MyBB forum and need help installing themes etc Smile
(10-28-2010, 01:41 PM)Sam Wrote: I guess you've subscribed to MyBBCentral.com? When I did it really improved my forums. Well worth it.
Yea I did about 1 week ago.
I have subscriptions to about 5 mybb forums.
  • Mybb Central
  • Mybb Codes
  • Mybb Source
  • Mybb Plugins
  • Zynge.net
Shockingly.
Nice tutorial mate. Thanks for sharing Smile
Very detailed.
That's really weird,Ninja

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MyBB Installation Tutorial Nasyr 0 852 10-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Nasyr
  [Release] Flat Desire : Stunning Flat Premium MyBB Theme envira 1 2,196 10-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nasyr
  [[Release] TeslaDark Premium Flat Modern Dark MyBB Theme envira 1 1,381 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Last Post: y8tvkid
  Machete - Free Sexy MyBB Theme from MySkins Studio envira 2 2,057 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Last Post: envira
  [Release] LightDesire Premium MyBB Theme : Beauty at its best envira 0 1,154 08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Last Post: envira