Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Installing v Re-Formatting.
Re-Installing v Re-Formatting.

After reading through certain threads/posts, for quite some time now,
I have decided to post this thread, explaining the difference, between installing/re-installing and
re-formatting, as it seems quite clear, that there are some members here, as well as on the wider network,
who appear to be confused, by these very different procedures.

There really is very rarely the need to re-format!

In extreme cases maybe, but usually it's completely unecessary.

I haven't re-formatted any of my PC's, in over 15 years, yet I have installed or
re-installed different versions of Windows, quite often, never losing any data!

When you do decide to install or re-install any version of Windows, there are a couple
of ways that you can do it, both without any data loss, this is described as a non-destructive installation,
so backing up all of your data, would be a complete waste of time and HD space, as it's truly not necessary.

The methods of installation or re-installation are as follows:

[Note: Let me make it clear. I do not mean, installing Windows, by doing an in-place installation, and installing Windows into a Windows folder,
on any partiton at all, overwriting the older OS.]

Either onto a new partiton, as a fresh installation, or even onto an existing Windows partiton,
it depends on how you do it.

If you choose to use the first method, it will usually install a new version of Windows, into a default Windows folder,
on the new partiton, unless you specify an alternative folder.

If you choose to install Windows, using the second method, into a folder called Windows1, for example, onto an existing Windows partition,
it will preserve your older OS, giving you the option to dual/multi-boot, depending on how many versions of Windows you decide to install,
if you desired that.

A possible advantage of doing this, could be to test out different anti-virus products, provided they are on seperate partitions.

Another advantage can be that you may not have to re-install all of your favourite apps, because with certain apps, you will be able to create short-cuts to them instead.

The second method is not really recommended, but I have been doing this for many years without any problems at all!

These methods, allow you two different choices of installing or re-installing different versions of Windows,
without re-formatting.

The obvious benefits here, are, saved time, HD space and possibly money as well, if you were planning to go out and buy another HD, for the purpose of backing up your data.

I hope that this has cleared this matter up a little, as I believe that it would be a shame, if people were to waste time, HD space and possibly money,
due to carrying out a re-format that was completely unecessary.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
Good explanation. My preference is to re-format though that way I just back up what I want to keep and do a mass erase of everything I dont.
(10-11-2009, 06:17 PM)R3c0nn1ssanc3 Wrote: Good explanation. My preference is to re-format though that way I just back up what I want to keep and do a mass erase of everything I dont.

Thanks for the feedback. Each to their own I guess, but I do genuinely believe that many people re-format, when they don't really need to,
because they believe they have to!

(10-11-2009, 06:17 PM)R3c0nn1ssanc3 Wrote: Good explanation. My preference is to re-format though that way I just back up what I want to keep and do a mass erase of everything I dont.

That's what I do too. If I'm going to install a new OS I want a clean install.

The few files/programs I can't easily find on the internet I just put on my ipod.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

(10-11-2009, 06:20 PM)UID=0 Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. Each to their own I guess, but I do genuinely believe that many people re-format, when they don't really need to,
because they believe they have to!

ya. imaginary +rep :-)
(10-11-2009, 06:20 PM)MreGSX Wrote: That's what I do too. If I'm going to install a new OS I want a clean install.

The few files/programs I can't easily find on the internet I just put on my ipod.

When you say 'clean', do you mean that you want an OS that is uncluttered
and new? I guess so, but both of these methods give you a 'clean' install, as each OS is in its own space in that respect.

If you mean by 'clean', that you want to get rid of files that are no longer used by the system, because you have uninstalled some apps, but there are
still some files left behind, then I take your point.
(10-11-2009, 06:26 PM)R3c0nn1ssanc3 Wrote: ya. imaginary +rep :-)

Hehe, thanks for that! I may have to edit this, as I think I left out a valid point or two.

(10-11-2009, 06:27 PM)UID=0 Wrote: When you say 'clean', do you mean that you want an OS that is uncluttered
and new? I guess so, but both of these methods give you a 'clean' install, as each OS is in its own space in that respect.

If you mean by 'clean', that you want to get rid of files that are no longer used by the system, because you have uninstalled some apps, but there are
still some files left behind, then I take your point.

A clean install is removing everything and installing the OS without any added programs or anything. It just makes me feel good inside.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

(10-11-2009, 06:30 PM)MreGSX Wrote: A clean install is removing everything and installing the OS. It just makes me feel good inside.

I guess so, like cropping your hair maybe, after it has gotten a little long.
Makes you feel clear-headed.

Well, I've only ever done that the once, [installed a clean OS, I mean, not the hair cropping, which I have done a few times],
after my brother infected an old PC of mine, many years ago, with a virus, that scrambled all of the text on the system.

I haven't really had the need I suppose, to do a clean install yet, even though I know that I have tons of junk on my system.

I can't explain why I haven't removed it because I'm not really sure...;)

My method is to reformat so in the way it wont bring any slightly problem occurs due to wipe out whole of datas as i wanted it to be. I also dont have problem with backing up data as i'd just transfer certain files onto my flash drive before ahead to proceed the reformat progress.
Hello;

This is a good little article, but I prefer the reformat as it clears the virsus, clutter, and programs that I no longer use. Whilst a reinstall just mainly fixes the corrupted features in Windows.

Also, here's a fine debate on the subject: http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?p=325022
[Image: r7g7j89si72ysmkv4yzm.png]

"Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [EASY] Installing a virtual OS [VIDEO] Telhast 13 1,461 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Last Post: ISO