Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[RELEASE]Source Code Stealer
Yes you can do a lot with httpwebrequests but to create an application purely for viewing a websites source is, IMO, very pointless. Thats why I think this would have been more useful if he released the source. That way people could adapt it to there liking.
I still think it's easier to view the source code manually, it only tells you the date in there, and if you want to know any other information like the version, its probably going to be a one time thing unless they update their version.

Just my opinion
(09-29-2010, 03:52 PM)Infinity Wrote: I still think it's easier to view the source code manually, it only tells you the date in there, and if you want to know any other information like the version, its probably going to be a one time thing unless they update their version.

Just my opinion

You still don't understand.

This is for an independent application, the entire point would be so the user doesn't have to visit the site and check if there is an update or not, all they'd have to do is simply press a button in the application.

To help you and other people better understand the benefits here's a small example application I created in vb6.

[Image: 28buuc7.jpg]

Download:
http://stashbox.org/1008617/example.zip
I'll get the source when I do my homework.
(09-29-2010, 03:55 PM)Sickshot Wrote: You still don't understand.

This is for an independent application, the entire point would be so the user doesn't have to visit the site and check if there is an update or not, all they'd have to do is simply press a button in the application.

To help you and other people better understand the benefits here's a small example application I created in vb6.

[Image: 28buuc7.jpg]

Download:
http://stashbox.org/1008617/example.zip

lol I knew you meant an individual app, I was saying though how I still would rather just check the site to figure all that stuff out. It may be good for educational purposes by reviewing a source code for the vb project, but it's not practical at all. There are always updates to sites. People update sites to keep network traffic coming to it, otherwise no matter how many people you have, no updates = your site going down the drain slowly.

The concept is ok, but the idea is not practical whatsoever if you know how to read the site through the means I suggested.
(09-29-2010, 04:49 PM)Infinity Wrote: lol I knew you meant an individual app, I was saying though how I still would rather just check the site to figure all that stuff out. It may be good for educational purposes, but it's not practical at all. There are always updates to sites. People update sites to keep network traffic coming to it, otherwise no matter how many people you have, no updates = your site going down the drain slowly.

The concept is ok, but the idea is not practical whatsoever if you know how to read the site through the means I suggested.

The example I posted is NOT for updating your site, and it isn't an RSS feed.

It's for automatically updating your programs without the need to have your program users to visit a website, search for a download link and hope it's the correct version.

The entire purpose of the source code the original poster provided is the fact that the user isn't required to manually visit the website and look at the source code, so calling it unpractical because you can do it manually is down right stupid.
(09-29-2010, 04:56 PM)Sickshot Wrote: The example I posted is NOT for updating your site, and it isn't an RSS feed.

It's for automatically updating your programs without the need to have your program users to visit a website, search for a download link and hope it's the correct version.

The entire purpose of the source code the original poster provided is the fact that the user isn't required to manually visit the website and look at the source code, so calling it unpractical because you can do it manually is down right stupid.

:S I'm sorry, but this is very silly, I think you need to review what I wrote again. I never said it was For updating your site, and I never said it was an RSS feed. If you read through all my posts, I only stated that you could view more detailed updates with rss basically. I said websites in general always get updated, so why bother checking the date for one, like what your app displays?

I know maybe not manually, but you'd still need an internet connection to view the source code, so why wouldn't you go to the website and do it through the right click menu? Plus if you were viewing a SPECIFIC page, you wouldn't always know the exact directory, which is why when you go to the actual site, you dont have to type that url in.

I'm saying its impractical because people have been doing it for a long time without an app doing it for you. As well, you have more information by doing it manually without filtering things through. You can learn the way the code is sorted out, and how the website is laid out too through a normal code view (with colors when it opens the code up in another window). People in general just like to stick to what they have always done before.

I simply said it was good for the educational review if he posted the code to his app.
(09-29-2010, 05:03 PM)Infinity Wrote: :S I'm sorry, but this is very silly, I think you need to review what I wrote again. I never said it was For updating your site, and I never said it was an RSS feed. If you read through all my posts, I only stated that you could view more detailed updates with rss basically. I said websites in general always get updated, so why bother checking the date for one, like what your app displays?

Ugh, you still do not understand what I'm saying.

I'll just stop trying.
(09-29-2010, 05:16 PM)Sickshot Wrote: Ugh, you still do not understand what I'm saying.

I'll just stop responding, it's obvious you won't get it.

I get that its a way of downloading updates to programs, but the way you worded it first it was explained to me how it was for the source code, which was the topic of discussion. Nothing to do with programs in here, thats why I got confused.. :S

If I still am not getting something, i'm not sure if anyone does lol. But I don't want to argue man. I just didn't understand what you were saying by filtering something out for an update. and how now it has something to do with programs?
(09-29-2010, 05:19 PM)Infinity Wrote: I get that its a way of downloading updates to programs, but the way you worded it first it was explained to me how it was for the source code, which was the topic of discussion. Nothing to do with programs in here, thats why I got confused.. :S

If I still am not getting something, i'm not sure if anyone does lol. But I don't want to argue man. I just didn't understand what you were saying by filtering something out for an update. and how now it has something to do with programs?

Well you misunderstood the entire point of the original code the topic creator posted.

It's not meant for replacing the way you get source code from websites, it's just something you can use as a stepping stone for other programming purposes and the automatic updater was an example of that.

Sorry.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Release] Password Enhancer v1.0 [/Release] Resistance 11 5,167 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Resistance
  Get Country Code In 1 Line Of Code. wchar_t 13 4,016 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Cubs
  [SOURCE] VTSkid-Control [Release] FizzyMentos 14 3,767 09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Last Post: malis2007
  [RELEASE] Up2Minus [MINUS UPLOADER [RELEASE] Kenneth 2 1,300 09-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: spesificrelax
  Crypter code source - project files [ vb.net ] rid47 2 2,341 09-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: spesificrelax