Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom DeLonge - Interview I found.
I was reading an old San Diego magazine and I found a pretty cool interview with Tom DeLonge.. time to type it up..
This is not my article. Copyright of that San Deigo magazine.

Catching up with Tom DeLonge

2010 is a busy year for Poway native Tom DeLonge. His latest band, pace rockers Angels & Airwaves, is on a 42-city tour (playing here at the house of blues may 27th), and releasing a full-length, science fiction film companion to the third album, Love, which was available free via the band's Modlife Webpage on Valentines Day. Meanwhile, his first band, pop-punk legends blink-182, reunited last year and plans to record a new album later this year. The front-man of two bands, owner of Macbeth Footwear, husband, father, and funny man sits down in his Carlsbad studio to discuss the Music biz, life on tour, burritos, movie-making, and more.

What's the strategy behind giving away an album for free?

The whole idea is give away a record and let the platform that powers our Web site make money in all these inventive ways - like pay per view, subscriptions, advertising, movies, VIP meet-and-greets and ticketing packages. That becomes more exciting then trying to track down a couple hundred thousand people to buy a record.

What's the best part about touring?

Having incredible lights and sound systems that give people a visual and a sonic experience is really, really cool. It's and adrenaline rush, but even more then that, it's and emotional rush, because the audience feels what you feel.

Do you get cravings for things from Sad Diego when you tour?

Like Mexican food? We used to have people FedEx us burritos. They would buy a burrito from a local taco shop and wrap it in a lot of foil, put in in a box with a bunch of ice packs and overnight it. We'd be somewhere on the other side of the country.

When touring, do you get much time to explore each city?

No. We see... parking lots. I could pull into all these cities blindfolded and just show you around a parking lot. Fortunately, I've had a long enough career in music that I've had a day off in almost every city.

What's the first thing you'll do when the tour ends?

Gear up to write a blink-182 record. That's literally in conjunction with scoring the film.

What's making a movie like?

It's been hard. Almost anyone can grab a laptop computer and an instrument and make some kind of song in their living room. Or a movie. But when you make an actual motion-picture feature film, it takes scores of people and planning, and it's difficult. But we're really excited. We're the first band in a long time to have done this.

You were voted homecoming kind on high school. What other titles since then have you compared?

When [blink-182] won an MTV Video Music Award, it was almost as good as homecoming king. And when I got plaques for selling 10 million records I was like, "This is almost as good as homecoming king.' But I didn't get sex for becoming homecoming kind. And I didn't get sex for the other ones, either.

And in high school, you had plans to be a firefighter?

Yeah, I was in a cadet program in high school. It all kind of ended when they started calling me at work and yelling at me. I just wanted to ride those big fire trucks, get a few days off a week and help some people.

What kept you in San Diego?

I've traveled everywhere, and there are more beautiful places - but there is no more beautiful weather. When you wake up it's sunny outside, it makes you a happier person, no matter what anyone says.

Last time you were in our pages was a feature for our At Home publication.

That was probably my wife. Not me. I'm not really known for that stuff. And if I am, I'm doing something wrong.

(Asked by the photographer, looking for a different pose.) Do you ever walk around without your shoes?

Well, I own a shoe company, so I'm kinda in shoes a lot. Are you trying to undress me?

Well, that's all I have. That took some time to type up, but hell I had nothing better to do.. enjoy.
My informational thread on how to become HQ
[Image: 3af27e76.png]
"An eye for an eye and the whole world would be blind"
Thanks for typing this up. It is inspiring to read how much he has done in his career.
No problem. Him and his old band members are real dedicated people.
It's been a while since I last heard about him. Looks like he's been busy.

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Smile
[Image: MpzF8.gif]
Thanks for the share. An interesting read. I may post up an interview I recently read as well.
(10-02-2010, 08:09 AM)NEC Wrote: It's been a while since I last heard about him. Looks like he's been busy.

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Smile

I'm like a Tom Delonge guru and there's stuff in there that I didn't even know.
Thank's Robbie. I love the old blink 182 Big Grin
[Image: logo.png]
xSexy.org | The New Sexy Forum ! [Erotic Pics & Videos]
Thank you, I love Blink-182.
This is truly a great share, a very interesting piece to read.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interview with Jesse Labrocca (Omniscient) Terrorz 32 7,646 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Last Post: iRun
  [Panic Button Pressed] Job Interview? groovybluedog 4 838 04-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Last Post: groovybluedog
  If you found a new blackberry .. Project- 12 1,637 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Melted oreo
  what I found on craigslist caspur 6 747 11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sam
  Found a typo while buying UB3R. =D Barely Hidden 2 551 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Omniscient