Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows XP SP2 doesn't remember network share passwords
Windows XP SP2 system doesn't remember network share passwords, every time i reboot the system have to enter password again.

- Checked on remember password check-box. Still it doesn't remember.
- Mapped drive also never connects even if check marked on Reconnect at logon option.
- Firewall is disabled.

Stored Users names and passwords from Control Panel> Users Account> Username> Manage my network passwords always remains empty even if i make manual entry in it.

Any ideas??
This isn't exactly possible. What your only solutions are is to either remove the passwords, or create a login account on the network share computer with the same credentials as the one on your XP computer.

Good luck.
All system are on workgroup environment.

or create a login account on the network share computer with the same credentials as the one on your XP computer.

^^
This should not be done ideally write? Because on all other systems it works fine.
Well the thing is all other systems are probably running another os, yes? From what I understand this is a xp home(or maybe pro, I can't remember..) specific problem.

Quote:This should not be done ideally write?

If I were to be taking a microsoft test for a certification, no I would not choose this option as it isn't best practices. For your small home workgroup, you should be fine Smile
[Image: dc02e095.jpg]
Ah, since you are using group policy on a workgroup environment, you have to change the policy on ALL computers instead of just one using a domain controller in a domain environment.

If that doesn't mean anything to you, I'm slightly confused as well on what you are aiming to do. Are you attempting to go through with my second option?

Please go into detail with what created that popup and what you are exactly trying to change.
No we don't have any group policy, its default on all systems.

I just saying that whenever i Goto> Group Policy > Security settings or click on any options in it gives above message box i don't understand why is that. Ideally on all other systems it doesn't happens.
Your local security policy database is definitely corrupted then. What I'd recommend is that you back it up, then repair it. You can repair it using the esentutl /p command from the cmd prompt.

So, open up a cmd prompt and type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb

That utility should repair your database and set you up properly. Then you can proceed with what you are attempting to try.
Hmm that might be the case, i'll try that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My graphic card doesn't work Seether 4 778 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Eminent