Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be aware if you dualboot...
Hey guys. I've been dualbooting XP with ubuntu for over 6 months.
I've installed ubuntu using the windows installer (wubi.exe) and everything went fine.

But a few days ago, I wanted to install Ubuntu Netoook Remix onto my USB using the universal usb installer.
After selecting the .iso file, it asked me where to install the UNR.

To make long story short - I didn't notice that the installer selected the ubuntu partition instead of my USB. And because I installed Ubuntu into windows (using wubi.exe), it creatd two (or more?)
files on my Windows partition that had to do something with MBR (their names were like wubimbr and so.).
By selecting the ubuntu partition instead of the USB, the installer formatted my Ubuntu installation, but the MBR remained there.

On the next startup it said that NTLDR is missing. I was trying to fix this using the recovery console, but it couldn't detect my Windows installation due to damaged MBR (caused by the USB installer).

The same thing happened to me yesterday when I was installing Mint on my USB, so right now I'm reinstalling windows.

So guys, be aware when creating Live USB using the Universtal USB Installer and make sure you'll choose the right partition / device.

Maybe this is not related to GRUB Ubuntu installation, but be aware anyways.

Goes without saying to be honest.
To gloss over the location of your install instead of concentrating is crazy.
Normally i actually even write down the actual size and whatnot of a drive before i do any installs.
Because some installers cant read your drives name and all you have is lists of drives with space.
That said you still should have noticed it was not installing to the correct location.
Im sure most if not all linux distros offer warnings before you delete windows partitions?
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(09-18-2010, 01:36 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Goes without saying to be honest.
To gloss over the location of your install instead of concentrating is crazy.
Normally i actually even write down the actual size and whatnot of a drive before i do any installs.
Because some installers cant read your drives name and all you have is lists of drives with space.
That said you still should have noticed it was not installing to the correct location.
Im sure most if not all linux distros offer warnings before you delete windows partitions?

No, it didn't overwrite my Windows but Ubuntu partition. The problem was that Windows contained Ubuntu's MBR which was linked to the files on the Ubuntu partition.
So Windows couldn't boot, but it still remained on the partition.

Then repairing your MBR is no big deal.
Both linux and windows have the boot repair option.
I recommend using the linux one as windows 7 has an issue with recognizing nix distros.
But loosing your MBR is no big deal at all mate. Actually almost normal during an install of linux.
The Rules!

(09-18-2010, 01:48 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Then repairing your MBR is no big deal.
Both linux and windows have the boot repair option.
I recommend using the linux one as windows 7 has an issue with recognizing nix distros.
But loosing your MBR is no big deal at all mate. Actually almost normal during an install of linux.

a) I don't know how to fix Windows MBR using Linux
b) I tried to fix it throught the Recovery Console using Windows XP CD and it didn't help.

I even wrote a new boot.ini file, copied ntldr and ntdetect.com from CD into my Windows partition.
On every startup the boot screen froze after like 10 sec.

Rather than quote check this out mate.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708
Hopefully that helps. If not let us know.

If prompted, enter your Windows XP administrator password. This will leave you at at a command line, so type in the following two commands:

Code:
fixboot
Code:
fixmbr
Then type
Code:
exit
then remove your XP cd. If everything has gone well, you should come to your XP bootloader.
The Rules!

(09-18-2010, 02:27 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Rather than quote check this out mate.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708
Hopefully that helps. If not let us know.

If prompted, enter your Windows XP administrator password. This will leave you at at a command line, so type in the following two commands:

Code:
fixboot
Code:
fixmbr
Then type
Code:
exit
then remove your XP cd. If everything has gone well, you should come to your XP bootloader.

That's exactly what I did.

Now I can't even reinstall the XP. It won't copy some files from the CD and after finishing the installation, restarting and booting, it will pop up a BSOD-like blue screen saying that I have to reinstall some application.

YES this happened to me about 2 months ago. I searched the internet how to fix it, with no luck. It doesnt load anything on your computer, just that error message.
The OS cds didnt help.
I sent my laptop to the shop to have it fixed
[Image: blanktemplate.png]
(09-18-2010, 05:06 AM)mmki Wrote: YES this happened to me about 2 months ago. I searched the internet how to fix it, with no luck. It doesnt load anything on your computer, just that error message.
The OS cds didnt help.
I sent my laptop to the shop to have it fixed

I tried to install Windows XP SP3, TinyXP and now I'm stuck with the Tiny 7 that lacks all the drivers I need. I only have XP and vista drivers...
I'll try to install Win XP SP2.

I installed Windows XP SP2, then "repaired" using it the SP3 CD and now it works! Yeeehaaaw!Smile