Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What OS do you recommend for the EEE PC?
Hello guys.

Yesterday I bought a netbook - ASUS EEE 900.

To make things clear, I bought this netbook ONLY for browsing the internet, occasionally making skype calls and opening some office documents (such as PDFs or MS Word documents).

On my main laptop I'm dualbooting Ubuntu & Windows XP, so if I'm going to put linux on my netbook, I'd like to install something Ubuntu-based.

What OS do you recommend?

It has 1GB of RAM, and I already installed (and then uninstalled) Windows XP SP2, Ubuntu Desktop Edition, Ubuntu Netbook Edition.

Well, I (accidentally) uninstalled Windows XP, but it's performance was pretty good.

Then I tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but I uninstalled it, because I couldn't change much of the appearance (only it's theme, wallpaper & font, but couldn't enable any effects).

Now I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop Edition and it seems a bit slower than XP + it does not handle the vertical space as well as XP / UNR does, so I have to put on a dock (I use the cairo-dock) and then it makes me want to change it's look to more OS X-like, but I can't even change the GDM theme + the Mac4Lin visual theme really sucks (horrible menu arrows, bad window borders, etc.).

What do you guys think? What OS would be the best for me?

Oh, and I'd like to be able to do video calls with MSN users if I won't have my main laptop with the XP with me, so probably I'll need to install XP anyways, because I couldn't find any MSN client for Linux that supports video calls with Windows MSN users.

Why did you double post this?
@Sam probably a bug.

OT/P:

I recommend Fedora.
(09-16-2010, 02:46 PM)Sam Wrote: Why did you double post this?

I'm sorry. The same thing happened to me on HF when I posted a poll too. Maybe some kind of bug.

Any netbook guys here? Big Grin
Post your suggestions, please.

XP is nice and fast, a great choice. I would 100% recommend it. I'm not sure of any video MSN calls on linux either. It may be possible but i've never heard of it.

If you have XP, use it!
(09-17-2010, 09:52 AM)Brandon Wrote: XP is nice and fast, a great choice. I would 100% recommend it. I'm not sure of any video MSN calls on linux either. It may be possible but i've never heard of it.

If you have XP, use it!

Ehh, I do have XP, but on a CD, and that's the problem. I don't have any external Optical Drive so I will have to install it using USB, but I don't know how. Whistle

Okay guys. I just installed Linux Mint 9 & uninstalled Jolicloud OS. Jolicloud requires internet connection in order to work. Otherwise, you can't use your distro.
This Linux Mint is really amazing.
Guess what. It boots in 18 seconds. 18 seconds - that's amazing. You'll turn your computer, and boom. You can access your desktop almost imediatelly. No more coffee making while booting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going to BestBuy very soon. Recommend me a Laptop NOW. Cartel 11 3,713 09-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Last Post: VENETX