Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Installation for Beginners. [TUT]
Firstly, this is for people who want to start using Linux and do not know where to start. If you have nothing good to say about this small tutorial, then please, refrain from posting.

If you want to get familiar with Linux but don't know where to start, try this. Linux has many distros, so there are plenty to choose from. If you are new, you might want to check out Ubuntu, it's Linux for Human Beings. Smile

I choose to showcase Ububtu because I feel that it is a very easy distro to learn.

The Wubi-installer for windows will help you successfully install Ubuntu. The installer does include a few other distros, but just a couple. I have used this method and I've had success.

THIS WILL ALLOW A DUAL BOOT OF YOUR WINDOWS OS AND UBUNTU. IT WILL NOT ERASE YOUR WINDOWS OS.

Wubi-installer:
http://wubi-installer.org/

Follow the on screen instructions and you will have no problems, it is a very simple process because it does all of the work for you. No manual partitioning is needed.

Be sure to remember your log-in information, you will need it when you boot Ubuntu.

When the installation is complete your machine will restart. You will now have a black screen with two choices. Your current OS will be the default choice, one arrow key down will be Ubuntu. Select it, hit enter and log into your new Ubuntu environment.

I hope this helps people who want to be new Linux users.
[Image: arch2.png]
I prefer downloading the .iso and using iBruteforce's guide.

This wubi thing would give you errors, since it downloads the stuff manually.. I don't know, it gave me errors and crap when I tried.
Hmm, I don't know then. :/

It worked fine for me, no problems at all. Thank you for the reply though.
Agree with Headshot. Wubi always gives me odd errors. Its been a while since I used it though, so maybe its better.
It also worked for me.

I knew it before, but I had also success with it.
Wubi worked fine for me when I first tried linux. Now I would just boot from CD, then install.
Thanks for all the replies. Glad to know that it does work for others.

@HaruhiSuzumiya, yes I would too, I was just putting this out there for people who didn't know about it yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [tut] CHMOD, Quick and Dirty. Extasey 5 1,782 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Last Post: MarkW7