Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benefits of using Linux?
Well, one great benefit that has already been mentioned is that Linux has a higher standard of security - although some just say they don't get viruses because people don't feel like creating viruses for *nix OSes (of course, they would be wrong - rootkits and the like).

But even still, it's a lot less likely for you to become infected with malware on a *nix OS than on Windows.

Not to mention it's usually much faster, and as has been said before... you can always just use wine for those programs that aren't available for Linux (although bear in mind that the wine emulator can not emulate *everything*, but it can emulate most things without issue.)
Linux is more stable, cleaner file system(s), Less resource Extensive, Package Managers (Usually), and it goes on and on
[Image: nv70ad.png]
Terrorcore, unleash, extermination
Hyper real, cold blood, determination
fudge them, I like this sensation
Incredible, I from the annihilation
I'm definitely being convinced. Any recommendations on a good distro. I know everyone says Ubuntu is best for beginners but any other options?
Robert Picard
http://www.rpicard.net
(10-04-2009, 05:52 PM)The Defender Wrote: I'm definitely being convinced. Any recommendations on a good distro. I know everyone says Ubuntu is best for beginners but any other options?

Fedora is also great for beginners.

Once you get moving and become comfortable with Linux, "Arch Linux" is an amazing distro.
[Image: nv70ad.png]
Terrorcore, unleash, extermination
Hyper real, cold blood, determination
fudge them, I like this sensation
Incredible, I from the annihilation
(10-04-2009, 06:02 PM)FallenGenesis77 Wrote: Fedora is also great for beginners.

Once you get moving and become comfortable with Linux, "Arch Linux" is an amazing distro.

ALL HAIL ARCH LINUX. If you use Arch, you'll learn more from just installing it than from 1 year of ubuntu usage. I guarantee it.
If you have any problems with the forum, feel free to email me via the User CP, or send me a Private Message.
Lol sounds beast. I'll look into Fedora for now and see what it's all about.
Robert Picard
Well, the main difference is that Ubuntu is Debian-based and Fedora is RedHat-based, so they have different package managers. Fedora is generally better for servers in my opinion.
If you have any problems with the forum, feel free to email me via the User CP, or send me a Private Message.
For your first distro, I recommend Linux Mint. It's JUST like Ubuntu, but is a lot more clean and has awesome support. Ubuntu does as well, but I just prefer Mint. As for the original question (and I know it's been answered, but); Linux is indeed a LOT more secure, because there're far less worms and/or viruses written for Linux. In fact, I've never even seen one. You can get ClamAV for Linux, and Mint comes with a firewall preinstalled, but I don't see a point in utilizing either, as I do not host servers or anything like that. VirtualBoxie is of course free, so if you want to use XP for some reason, then it'd be very fast to install and such.

Another thing that I absolutely cannot get over is that most distros that I have seen come with RhythmBox, and I LOVE it because I can just plug in my iPod and it detects all the tracks/playlists on the device, so I can just listen to it on my computer. Also, it incorporates last.fm, which I'm not a great fan of, but a lot of people are.

That's just naming some features. Try it; you'll love it.
What about wubi to start off with? You can install it right on windows instead of on a partition. However it is very limited, very :x
(10-04-2009, 07:49 PM)CryptoSoldier Wrote: What about wubi to start off with? You can install it right on windows instead of on a partition. However it is very limited, very :x

I'll look into that too. Thumbsup
Robert Picard