Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do u think?
i just wonder what people think of my modem i think it's quite old not sure here

it is a Motorola SB5100, Surfboard Cable modem
(10-25-2009, 04:14 AM)Marda Wrote: i just wonder what people think of my modem i think it's quite old not sure here

it is a Motorola SB5100, Surfboard Cable modem

None too sure, but posting an indication of a speedtest might help,
as the connection speed is the main concern methinks.

www.speedtest.net

For example:

[Image: 602863644.png]

BTW - This is my VPN, which is usually faster than my direct connection to my ISP.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
mmmmmkay thxs for the info will do spped test Big Grin
Not real sure what a speed test is going to do though?
I mean its the ISP that controls bandwidth not hit router. Well they both can but i suspect the ISP to be the limiting factor every time. Am i correct in thinking that?
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(10-26-2009, 01:11 AM)Marda Wrote: mmmmmkay thxs for the info will do spped test Big Grin

No problem, and just post the link here, as the image is hosted on their site,
so we can maybe get an idea at least.
(10-26-2009, 01:14 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Not real sure what a speed test is going to do though?
I mean its the ISP that controls bandwidth not hit router. Well they both can but i suspect the ISP to be the limiting factor every time. Am i correct in thinking that?

Well, the speed test can just give you the result for the sort of speeds that you are capable of connecting at.

You may be correct when you say that it's the ISP, not the router that controls bandwidth,
but as he said, his modem is sort of old, so maybe a speed test will at least give an indication of the speeds it may possibly connect at.

Also, like I said, my own ISP, tends to be somewhat slower than connecting with that VPN there, usually connecting at about 24-27 Mbp/s,
so maybe it's possible to bypass ISP limitations by connecting to a VPN, that allows a faster connection.

(10-25-2009, 11:36 PM)UID=0 Wrote: None too sure, but posting an indication of a speedtest might help,
as the connection speed is the main concern methinks.

www.speedtest.net

For example:

[Image: 602863644.png]

BTW - This is my VPN, which is usually faster than my direct connection to my ISP.
Are the colors really necessary, lol.
(10-27-2009, 12:51 AM)UID=0 Wrote: No problem, and just post the link here, as the image is hosted on their site,
so we can maybe get an idea at least.
(10-26-2009, 01:14 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Not real sure what a speed test is going to do though?

Well, the speed test can just give you the result for the sort of speeds that you are capable of connecting at.

You may be correct when you say that it's the ISP, not the router that controls bandwidth,
but as he said, his modem is sort of old, so maybe a speed test will at least give an indication of the speeds it may possibly connect at.

Also, like I said, my own ISP, tends to be somewhat slower than connecting with that VPN there, usually connecting at about 24-27 Mbp/s,
so maybe it's possible to bypass ISP limitations by connecting to a VPN, that allows a faster connection.

That's not really how it works, unless your ISP is throttling you on certain protocols (HTTP most definitely not being one of them) a packet is a packet no matter where it's coming from/going to- simply using a VPN isn't going to magically make your connection go faster.
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies
(10-27-2009, 01:34 AM)iintens Wrote: Are the colors really necessary, lol.

Well I know that I prefer to highlight certain words in colors in my threads,
and if you take a look around the forum, you may see, that a few of the more experienced members here,
seem to also use different colors in their threads as well,
Although I can't seem to find any at the moment...;)
I have also seen multi-colored threads at other forums elsewhere as well, and for me, they look a lttle more appealing than a large block of text in white/grey.

Quote:That's not really how it works, unless your ISP is throttling you on certain protocols (HTTP most definitely not being one of them) a packet is a packet no matter where it's coming from/going to- simply using a VPN isn't going to magically make your connection go faster.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you on that pioint, but
how do you explain that my connection to my VPN, is usually considerably faster than my regular connection to my ISP then?

Besides, my suggestion to the OP, was to simply do a speed test,
which would probably give an indication about how effective his modem is.

i will have to do the spped test at the begining of the 1st month (in 4-5 days) as we ran out of downloads a while ago so we do not have our internet running as fast as it should Big Grin
(10-27-2009, 05:50 AM)Marda Wrote: i will have to do the spped test at the begining of the 1st month (in 4-5 days) as we ran out of downloads a while ago so we do not have our internet running as fast as it should Big Grin

Ran out of downloads?

You don't need to download anything to do the speed test though...;)

All you have to do, is go along to the page at:

www.speedtest.net

and just click on 'Begin Test', it's that simple!

[You have to have javascript enabled to run the test].

It just takes a couple of minutes. When it's finished, just click on where it says 'Copy Forum Link
and then paste it into your message here, and that will display the results on this page.

But look at the difference in my speed at the moment. to what it was the other day,
as it's a massive difference, that can often change, depending on what time of day you run the test.

[Image: 605073007.png]

I imagine he means he has ran out of bandwidth for that month and now being throttled by his ISP thereby making any speed test useless.
[Image: 569943685.png]
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM