Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Make Text Reflection (Adobe Photoshop CS5) Tutorial
Text Reflection Tutorial

With this tutorial I am going to show you how you can add reflections to your text, shapes or isolated objects. This is a very common (and easy) technique and is used a lot, especially in web design.
As an example for this tutorial I will add a reflection to text, however as I said before you can also use the same technique to add reflections to shapes or isolated objects.
Let’s start our little Photoshop training session Confusedmile:

I have created a new document and just type Text Reflection as you can see in the screenshot below.

[Image: 24.png]

The first step is to duplicate our text layer. You can do that by simply pressing Ctrl+J or by going to Layer -> Duplicate Layer.
Now, select the Move Tool (V) and drag the duplicate layer below the original one like in the screenshot below.

[Image: 25.png]

(You can also add a bit of perspective to the reflection layer by transforming it
(Edit->Transform->Perspective) if you want.
The next step is to add a layer mask to the duplicate layer. To do this simply click on the add layer mask button in the layers palette.

[Image: 298.png]

Now pick the Gradient Tool and draw a gradient (black to white) in the direction that the arrow is showing in the screenshot below. (Hold Shift while you draw the gradient)
[Image: 26.png]

You should now have something like this.

[Image: 19.png]

Finally just reduce the opacity of the duplicate layer and you are all done. I reduced the opacity to 35% and here is my final result.

[Image: 27.png]

There is no golden rule about the opacity %, just play with the opacity setting until you get your desired result.
Nice tutorial you've got going here, really going to help me and I'm sure other members too, thanks!
[Image: signaturera.png]
Looks like you've great knowledge in Adobe Cs.Good to see people like you contributing this forum.It's really a helpful tutorial.Thanks for sharing.
"Nothing hurt more than realizing that she meant every thing to you and you meant nothing to her"
(06-12-2011, 02:18 AM)Laughynose Wrote: Nice tutorial you've got going here, really going to help me and I'm sure other members too, thanks!
Thanks for appreciating.I'm trying to help out sf members in gfx section and this was my first try,Hopefully other members also like this my effort.
This is really basic, but helps new members. I actually forgot how to do that, so I will use this tutorial :p. Thanks for the share.
(06-12-2011, 04:56 AM)iMario Wrote: This is really basic, but helps new members. I actually forgot how to do that, so I will use this tutorial :p. Thanks for the share.

wow looks like sometimes Great HQ members forget basic things.lol @imario Roflmao

@OP nice thread.Nice basic things.

BTW here's my result just added a little picture of "Sonic' lol
[Image: 3dtextven0m.png]
[Image: 3dtextven0mhf.png]
Nice tutorial you got here, it may help some people out.
Thanks, I have been needing this for a while.
Simple and easy, I remember back when I needed this tut lol, 4 years ago.
woohoo been looking for this, also need to know ho to reflect it to the side

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photoshop - Animated Text Shine Tutorial courage 28 8,968 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  Photoshop - Vintage Look Tutorial Fragma 6 1,422 07-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Last Post: GoldHacker93
  Simple Text Reflection Tutorial Zombot 7 1,742 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Dubai
  [Tutorial] Photoshop Movie Effect Snow. 12 2,972 10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Last Post: angel.carry
  [Tutorial]A nice signature Text Hardii 25 4,451 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Tactical_Magma