Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(SOLVED) (KILL THREAD)
You know when the icon display is messed up/corrupted is the correct computer term... please help me get back the original icon of my anti-viruses... So far it strangely affects only them. Really messed up, and I don't want to reinstall them both, Mbam plus it is really hard to find avast antivirus 5 pro edition. Thanks guys, view spoiler for screenshot below.

[Image: t5BWm.png]
Do those files open up directly from your taskbar? If not the file directory location that it wants to go to is either incorrect, and sometimes it loses track of the .ico file that it uses for the icon. You can try re-adding it to your taskbar by going to the actual program location (program files in C directory). If that doesn't work, you can probably find the .ico file yourself, which should be in the same folder as the program itself.

And if thats not there, i'm sure you can go online and download the icon yourself by typing in "Avast .ico" or something like that. Then right click on the program and go to customize, or advanced.. I can't remember exactly because i'm not on Win7 right now, but it should be in one of the tabs where it says "Change Icon"

All you need to do is point to a ".ico" file. And as long as you don't move that icon (ICO) it should keep the image for your program Smile otherwise you will have to go to "change Icon" and locate it again through right clicking on it and going into properties.
(10-07-2010, 07:23 PM)Infinity Wrote: Do those files open up directly from your taskbar? If not the file directory location that it wants to go to is either incorrect, and sometimes it loses track of the .ico file that it uses for the icon. You can try re-adding it to your taskbar by going to the actual program location (program files in C directory). If that doesn't work, you can probably find the .ico file yourself, which should be in the same folder as the program itself.

And if thats not there, i'm sure you can go online and download the icon yourself by typing in "Avast .ico" or something like that. Then right click on the program and go to customize, or advanced.. I can't remember exactly because i'm not on Win7 right now, but it should be in one of the tabs where it says "Change Icon"

All you need to do is point to a ".ico" file. And as long as you don't move that icon (ICO) it should keep the image for your program Smile otherwise you will have to go to "change Icon" and locate it again through right clicking on it and going into properties.

yeah I see what your getting at but its already on the taskbar as you can see in the screenshot, I did not execute the shortcut from the Desktop, I did it from the Taskbar next to the time.
(10-07-2010, 07:26 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: yeah I see what your getting at but its already on the taskbar as you can see in the screenshot, I did not execute the shortcut from the Desktop, I did it from the Taskbar next to the time.

I can see that, but i'm saying that you can unpin and pin things to the taskbar, they don't have to stay there, delete them, and try re-adding it to your bar. Thats step 1.

If that fails, see if there is an .ico file present anywhere in the program directory, and then add it to your start menu and point the "Change Icon" option in properties, to that .ico file.

lastly, if the .ico file isn't on your computer for some reason. I'm pretty sure you can download the same one off the internet.

If you opened the program from your taskbar, then you automatically know that it's pointing that shortcut to the program and that the program works, it just doesn't find the directory for the icon that it uses. Right click and go into properties to change the icon again. or delete it, and re-add it by finding the source location in your program files directory.
(10-07-2010, 07:30 PM)Infinity Wrote: I can see that, but i'm saying that you can unpin and pin things to the taskbar, they don't have to stay there, delete them, and try re-adding it to your bar. Thats step 1.

If that fails, see if there is an .ico file present anywhere in the program directory, and then add it to your start menu and point the "Change Icon" option in properties, to that .ico file.

lastly, if the .ico file isn't on your computer for some reason. I'm pretty sure you can download the same one off the internet.

If you opened the program from your taskbar, then you automatically know that it's pointing that shortcut to the program and that the program works, it just doesn't find the directory for the icon that it uses. Right click and go into properties to change the icon again. or delete it, and re-add it by finding the source location in your program files directory.

Not really helping bro, I can't edit the .exe's ico unless I use an injector but thats too jurassic. I'll try updating them.
I reinstalled MBAM which was a load of time down the drain, took 2 reboots! The problem for MBAM got fixed Ill reinstall avast later.
But they worked, it was only the Icon that couldn't be found, you don't need to do that lol

For Avast:

You can download the Icon if you dont want to look for it through program files
http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/avast-2208.html

Then save to somewhere where you are likely to keep icons and not move them around a whole lot. Say in your documents folder, thats where I keep all of mine, and I dont move them. Or you can save this Ico file to your avast Program files folder so you know exactly where it is.

Right click on the program itself, and change the icon through the customization tab. Locate the Ico file, and it should be fixed.

Just unpin, and re-pin the program to your taskbar
(10-07-2010, 10:37 PM)Infinity Wrote: But they worked, it was only the Icon that couldn't be found, you don't need to do that lol

No infinity it wasn't like that, I had to reinstall it because the GUI.exe icon got corrupted... The methods you provided didn't help either way. lol. No I have to reinstall avast damn it.
(10-07-2010, 10:39 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: No infinity it wasn't like that, I had to reinstall it because the GUI.exe icon got corrupted... The methods you provided didn't help either way. lol. No I have to reinstall avast damn it.

Both were corrupt?

you only mentioned the icons not showing in the task bar

( I can't stand Avast anyway lol... for some reason it thinks you need to know about every update it does instead of doing all that in the background.)
(10-07-2010, 10:41 PM)Infinity Wrote: Both were corrupt?

you only mentioned the icons not showing in the task bar

( I can't stand Avast anyway lol... for some reason it thinks you need to know about every update it does instead of doing all that in the background.)

Personally I really liked avast. Blocks a lot of malicious websites and trojans. The PROPER icons weren't showing it -- was only the corrupt ones that were showing. And its wierd.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Solved] How to calculate my max FPS? Nemmyy 11 5,278 06-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Nemmyy
  System Notification Color Text Changed???!!! (Solved :) :P ) Resistance 9 2,410 03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Impuhlsive
  [Solved] Download whole Facebook album Solidify 2 960 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Solidify