Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical Debates Section
(12-26-2011, 05:57 PM)King Wrote: I don't really think people are going to be turned off by the small frequency of tension between members bound to occur in such a forum. I think the fact that this topic is so interesting and controversial, it will definitely make for some more activity and discussion on the site, hopefully outweighing your statement.

Philosophy, when down to the last few words of wisdom for people that want to start intellectual discussions, usually gravitate towards religion which always ends up being a heated topic in most cases. I've been in one already on this forum, and there's no way there's a winner or loser or as whatever you want to call it... Someone who is Christian isn't going to talk on your side no matter what you say about God not existing and no matter what proof you provide. It's like arguing to a Microsoft MVP for why Apple is better than Windows. They usually always go the side of Windows.
Quote:Imagine how bad me and Omni would be going at it in the debate section lolz.

If you do it in a respectable manner, leaving all emotions behind and talking just fact, there isn't usually a problem. I know that a lot of people get stuck into these sorts of debate topics, but you just need to argue your point with a cool head. I'm not sure the maturity and intelligence levels of every member here are going to be enough to do that, however.

Omniscient, please keep us updated as to when the site's ready. Smile
(12-29-2011, 11:01 PM)King Wrote: If you do it in a respectable manner, leaving all emotions behind and talking just fact, there isn't usually a problem. I know that a lot of people get stuck into these sorts of debate topics, but you just need to argue your point with a cool head. I'm not sure the maturity and intelligence levels of every member here are going to be enough to do that, however.

With the majority of members coming from a forum like HF however, this put into perspective is a little less reality and more fiction. The reason why this forum maintains it's sense of professionalism is because there is a difference in the forum. If we have a debate section, members from HF will surely change that, and possibly influence boundaries of this forum outside of that section as well because there's no change in the routine. They practice debates on HF by trolling, you can come here and just expect to change that just because your on a different forum. The forum changes, but personality isn't as easily changeable.

I've seen members come and go here for a while. The starters if you watch them usually start out with an HF attitude, and which also sometimes includes their assumption that the rules on SF and HF are the same because they are both run by Omni, which is false. But if they like the forum, their attitude gradually changes because there is less tolerance for HF style behavior here. A debate section is the only link comparable between the two forums where they may think that they can act in the same way.

So maybe on another forum, and I agree with your side, but because of where the majority of the activity on SF is derived from, I wouldn't say that this is the case.
(12-29-2011, 11:08 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: With the majority of members coming from a forum like HF however, this put into perspective is a little less reality and more fiction. The reason why this forum maintains it's sense of professionalism is because there is a difference in the forum. If we have a debate section, members from HF will surely change that, and possibly influence boundaries of this forum outside of that section as well because there's no change in the routine. They practice debates on HF by trolling, you can come here and just expect to change that just because your on a different forum. The forum changes, but personality isn't as easily changeable.

I've seen members come and go here for a while. The starters if you watch them usually start out with an HF attitude, and which also sometimes includes their assumption that the rules on SF and HF are the same because they are both run by Omni, which is false. But if they like the forum, their attitude gradually changes because there is less tolerance for HF style behavior here. A debate section is the only link comparable between the two forums where they may think that they can act in the same way.

So maybe on another forum, and I agree with your side, but because of where the majority of the activity on SF is derived from, I wouldn't say that this is the case.

Perhaps it would be a good learning curve for those members coming from HF. Some strict enforcing of quality control in the debate section would surely have a lot of the pull their head in. Oui
I think the forum lacks the amount of mature enough members who would actually debate in a mature way.
(12-29-2011, 11:31 PM)Juicy Booty Wrote: I think the forum lacks the amount of mature enough members who would actually debate in a mature way.

I think there are a few. And when others see those few in action, they should feel inspired to uphold a sense of quality and sensibility in that forum.
(12-29-2011, 11:35 PM)King Wrote: I think there are a few. And when others see those few in action, they should feel inspired to uphold a sense of quality and sensibility in that forum.
I personally think it would be great, and I would love it, but I just think the forum is not at that point yet.
(12-28-2011, 01:21 PM)Omniscient Wrote: I know for a fact how quick debates can get heated and feelings hurt. I don't want that here. Besides that I plan to open my own new political forum in the next few weeks. I'll point SF and HF to it for debates. Hoping to get it heated there and people active.

I'll definitely be joining, I need somewhere to open my head and let my feelings burst out. I can't wait. Big Grin
(12-28-2011, 01:21 PM)Omniscient Wrote: I've run a political debate site. This was my site before I sold it a few years ago.

http://www.democracyforums.com/forum.php

I remember that site now Smile Did a post or 2 on there if i remember correctly.

(12-28-2011, 01:21 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Besides that I plan to open my own new political forum in the next few weeks. I'll point SF and HF to it for debates. Hoping to get it heated there and people active.

Hit me up when thats up and running Omni.
I might be able to contribute a little Smile
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

I personally think instead of creating a new forum that work could be time spent here on SF making further improvements and making this site big. Don't let this forum be neglected.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion; Community Tutorials [Section/Sub-section] eax 6 1,326 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Jacob
  [Suggestion] Software Release Section or Ruby Section Jordan L. 9 2,663 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Jordan L.