Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picking the best administrator for your forums
(09-21-2010, 02:39 PM)Brandon Wrote: Thanks guys.

I only offered admin to someone I knew for at least (almost)a year and was an active. contributing, mature member to my site. He was also my only super mod. However, I was at first deciding on who was the most active and willing to help, designed for us, promoted us, did all that! Unfortunately, he's more interested in halo: reach(ugh, F U halo) than really buckling down and being a serious administrator of my site.

I would not trust many people either, and I suppose I should keep it as one administrator rather than developing into a multiple administrative site. I can easily manage the entire site.

I was just curious as to what you guys look for in an administrator. I like to plan, honestly. My current project isn't extremely successful however It's building and going smooth for the time being, so I always like to think and get advice from other webmasters.

And its a very good question.
Too often i see new sites and the creators offering Admin permissions in a desperate attempt to get posts and members.
Ultimately an Admin (use Omni for example) is often working in the back end and it ultimately take away from "forum" time. So upgrading a member to Admin and then giving them requirements will take them away from the forums. (the life blood of any forum except for FTW Smile )
Use HF as another example. At that size i would assume its common to need other Admins around simply because of the activity and the fact Omni needs to sleep.
Knowing someone for a long time is not the be all end all. Hell i have known Omni for years and have been loyal to him and you dont see me with a mod position.
There is a reason for that i feel.
Firstly i can be a prick and for that alone i dont get it. But also i am a poster. My position is best suited as a member, not as staff. Third. Although i have send hundreds of pms to omni and chatted to him countless times i am still a stranger ultimately. Hell we could walk past eachother in the street.

My point. All be it a long one is this mate.
Dont offer Admin to anyone. If you really really need one then look for family or similar.
I have heard too many times where a "trusted" member gets a senior role only to screw the owner.
Hell i think its even happened here?
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Picking the best administrator for your forums - by DAMINK™ - 09-22-2010, 01:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide on your Forums' Staff Team [MUST READ IF YOU OWN FORUMS] Tate 15 4,279 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BlackChaos
  Have you been a forum administrator? Eve 63 21,582 03-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Last Post: RDCA
  Courses: Becoming an Administrator Lord_Scorch 50 6,221 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Eve