Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to shrink a hard drive volume [Tutorial]
(03-16-2011, 01:04 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Tip: Use the YT tags here for a larger youtube video box.

Otherwise nice video. I personally don't like to compress my drives.

Hey thanks a lot Smile I've made 2 videos for support forums so far, but i'll remember to use that tag for any newer ones that I create for the forum. Thanks for editing the post for the tags too, now I can see the exact tags that I should use for next time.

(03-16-2011, 02:29 PM)HecticHydra Wrote: Wait so what happens to the other space? Will it be unallocated? Because I have an extra HD with 100+ gb left on it.

Yes it becomes unallocated space on your hard drive until you choose to make it a separate partition. But this is the first step to dividing up free space on your hard drive into separate partitions for use for various purposes.

When I bought my old computer with Vista pre-installed, it came with one drive partitioned into C:/ and D:/ drives. Drive letter D was used for the factory image of the original operating system, and C: was used for the regular installation files for the system. I bought another hard drive with it though so I could keep all of my personal files (music/video/picture/document/etc) in a separate place aside from that drive with everything else on it. Now that drive has more free space, and I won't lose data from my other drive unless it becomes corrupted. And it allows for a much easier system recovery if I need it as well.

Note: even though it's Vista I got it for a good deal, and I had no intention of running Vista on it later anyway. So I reformetted the hard drive and got Windows 7 on it instead lol. The computer specs were amazing, so I had no problems with requirements for having Windows 7 installed at all. 8GB RAM, good video card, USB3.0, Quad Core processor, built in wireless, DVD + BluRay drivers... it came with the full deal from the start.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to shrink a hard drive volume [Tutorial] - by AceInfinity - 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cd drive not working DEEMONEY 3 1,586 12-13-2019, 02:16 AM
Last Post: emma162