Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fingerprint Scanner
Well curiosity got me into looking for a good effective fingerprint scanner for W7 but I cant find any. It appears there may have been a little push for them when XP was out but they have since died. Personally I love the idea so I don't have to memorize every single password. I mean scientists are saying passwords need to start being 8-12 characters to be considered secure and of course it shouldn't be anything like names, birthday, pet name, or other personal info someone else may know, and to top it off they should all be unique.

A fingerprint scanner is the perfect solution since the software will auto input your secure password. I have been reading old reviews for alot of them and back then they seemed pretty stable and hard to fudge a fake print (on silly putty or something) and they were pretty secure. I guess the idea of an everyday-computer-person using a fingerprint scanner never really caught on .-.
That'd be really cool.

Sadly, the world is shifting towards the negative in which that will eventually be one of the only ways to be secure...

And then the world of Computers and Computer Security will keep evolving until those aren't even safe anymore.
I don't know much about the topic, but isn't the scanner only to log on to the computer? If that's the case then it isn't really worth it in my opinion. I'd rather have the scanner for sites and stuff like my bank accounts and paypal, etc.
I've heard rumors about there being some that you can configure for banks and things, but i'm not too confident in those rumors.
You can program them to work with other programs I know a lot of them work for IE (Eww I know) there is an add-on for FireFox that allows you to use it for just about any site with a log in.

Edit: It's called FingerFox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3871/
Wow that's pretty cool actually.

Definitely could be of some use to the elderly that use computers.
You can buy this in walmart or fry's store's.
(09-01-2010, 06:52 PM)Zurmi Wrote: That'd be really cool.

Sadly, the world is shifting towards the negative in which that will eventually be one of the only ways to be secure...

And then the world of Computers and Computer Security will keep evolving until those aren't even safe anymore.

Thats the way it works Smile better software comes out, better OS, more options and the always opposite to that is better more advanced ways of bypassing security.

When Vista first came out, they were forced to improve this as well because there was a remote way that you could turn off someones user account control and gain access to their computer with admin permissions. All from a faked Microsoft email Smile

I don't know much about this topic either, however i'm sure that they will come out with cheesy ways of voice activated passwords, and all that stuff.. It's all marketing though, It's not really like the newer machines are getting any better. They just have more options/visual effects, to get you to buy them so that they don't go bankrupt in their business.
I never knew about this finger fox, now i might consider one for my laptop!