Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Make A Shine Effect With A Gradient
In this tutorial I’ll be teaching you the common shine effect using gradients and also some alternatives to the clean cut style.

Method 1

Start with the thing you want to add a shine effect to:

[Image: 1-1.jpg]

Select the area of where you would like to apply the shine to:

[Image: 2-1.jpg]

Fill the selection with white (Edit > Fill with the colour #ff).

[Image: 3-1.jpg]

Set the blend mode to Soft Light and Opacity to 50%. Depending on how harsher shine you’d like a different opacity and blend mode is appropriate so test out a few different combinations until something fits your needs.

[Image: 4.jpg]

Using this method, you can make whatever selection you’d like to apply a shine to – ie in the example at the start of this tutorial.

Method 2

This time we’ll be using a layer style, so with the layer you want to add a shine to selected, go Layer > Layer Style > Gradient Overlay and apply the settings below (the 50% refers to the posititon – one is on top of the other: ie the gradient changes immediately).

Result:

[Image: 6.jpg]

So this yields the same result, but you can also copy the layer style and then paste it to another which makes it easily duplicatable.

Gradual Shine Style

This effect will use a gradient from white to transparent rather than filling in the selection with white (this is only applicable to the first method).
Start with a box and select the area you want to apply the gradual shine to:

[Image: 7-1.jpg]

Using the gradient tool apply a linear gradient from white to transparent but start a bit below the top of the selection and drag down past the bottom of the selection slightly – this will make the gradient end a bit further than the selection: ie have a gradual shine.

[Image: 8-1.jpg]

Now you can set the layer’s blend mode to Soft Light and Voila, You're done! ;)

[Image: Endingimage-1.jpg]

Hope you liked this! ;)

~ P
You could just make a gradient to do all that in 1 step.
Why would you make it complicated. Tongue
[Image: burninglove4.png]
(09-11-2010, 04:49 AM)Untouch Wrote: You could just make a gradient to do all that in 1 step.
Why would you make it complicated. Tongue

Cause most of my tutorials are detailed & HQ.
It's just 2 blocks of colour next to each other?
I actually prefer the gradient look.
Aren't the shines supposed to be like a half circle faded? That's how I do it and it looks better imo
(09-11-2010, 08:30 AM)Nemmyy Wrote: Aren't the shines supposed to be like a half circle faded? That's how I do it and it looks better imo

Yeah, they are... But but, this is the way I do it Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rate My Sig & CHAOS effect Intro 57 13,534 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Last Post: pjforum
  Photoshop - Animated Text Shine Tutorial courage 28 9,065 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  Lighting effect [tutorial] Oldskool. 23 5,055 04-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Last Post: patrick001
  [Tutorial] Photoshop Movie Effect Snow. 12 2,986 10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Last Post: angel.carry
  Sync's GFX Tutorials - Animated Shine Effect Endless™ 13 2,678 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Divine