Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
firefox created a new profile ??
All,

The system is fc6 with firefox 1.5 +. I use yum to perform upgrades. Starting the day before yeserday firefox automatically created a new profile. It lost many settings including all bookmarks.

Is this a known problem?
How can it be prevented?

Thanks - Dan
I have never heard of Firefox creating new profiles, on any OS by it's self, but I would first recommend upgrading Firefox to the newest version, if possible, and then, see if the problem persists.
It may have something to do with an outdated version.

I personally don't know.

Dr Small
I've never known Firefox to auto-create a new profile.. I've always had to do it manually.
It might have something to do with an old version, I dunno. Try updating, it might help.

Keep us updated, and we'll try to help!
~ FFW
Thanks for the replies.

Firefox created a new 'profile' in $HOME/.mozilla/firefox. The profile is documneted in profiles.ini.

- Dan
Has it done this before, or is this the first?
~ FFW
Dr Small Wrote:I would first recommend upgrading Firefox to the newest version

Firefox 2 isnt going to hit the repos untll fc7 is avalible.

dansawyer Wrote:All,

The system is fc6 with firefox 1.5 +. I use yum to perform upgrades. Starting the day before yeserday firefox automatically created a new profile. It lost many settings including all bookmarks.

Is this a known problem?
How can it be prevented?

Thanks - Dan

Cant say ive ever heard of anything like this happening. is your old profile still there?
If not you can get it back by digging out an old backup of your home directory (if you have one) and restoring your .mozilla folder
This was a first. It created an entirely new profile directory.
Well, I don't know..
If its only done it once it wouldn't be nothing to worry about, unless you've lost all your settings and stuff for the default profile.
~ FFW

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  User Profile testilaca 1 514 08-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Last Post: FirefoxWiz
  XHTML Mobile Profile 0.3.7 - April 4, 2007 Forum Bot 0 285 04-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Forum Bot
  New Profile FirefoxWiz 1 1,059 01-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Dr Small
  New Profile FirefoxWiz 2 753 04-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Guest