Support Forums
[Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - Printable Version

+- Support Forums (https://www.supportforums.net)
+-- Forum: Categories (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Forum: Virus Protection, Removals, and HJT Team (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Forum: Computer Security, Firewalls, and Antivirus (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM (/showthread.php?tid=5645)

Pages: 1 2

[Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - flAmingw0rm - 04-06-2010

[Image: install-ram-200X200.jpg]

Prerequisites to Check for Installing RAM

Here I am writing the instructions with reference to how to install RAM on a desktop computer. So all the prerequisites that I have mentioned here are also in the same context. The first thing that you need to know is that the RAMs available in the market today are in multiples of 16 MB. It means that you will get a RAM of memory space 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1024 MB or 1 GB, 2 GB, etc. So, if you have 256 MB RAM in your computer and want to upgrade it to minimum 1000 MB, then you will have go upto 1024 MB. Once, you have decided on how much RAM you want, you need to check the card type of the RAM that you need to buy. The card type is generally referred to as form factor. If you have DIMM slots in your computer, you will need a RAM compatible with that, while for RIMM slots, you will need a RAM that meets that requirement. You also need to check that the existing RAM in your computer is a DDR RAM or SDR RAM. Once you are done with these prerequisites, you can then jump over to the next step on how to install RAM.

RAM Installation Instructions

When installing RAM in a desktop computer, you first need to open the CPU. Opening the CPU, should not be a difficult task. Most of the CPUs that are designed nowadays, generally have hand driven screws. Remember to switch off the CPU and open all the connections that the computer has with the power supply. To prevent any accidental static current flow, stand on an insulator before starting off with the installation process. Also open the connections to any other computer peripherals from the CPU cabinet. In short, all the wires connected to the CPU need to be removed. The new RAM needs to be installed in what we commonly refer to as the memory bank. There will be slots near your existing RAM to install the new RAM. For installing a DIMM, hold it perpendicular to the computer motherboard and parallel to the existing RAM. Simply push in the RAM into its slot. For installing a SIMM (Single Inline Memory Module) you will have to hold the RAM at approximately 45 degrees to the slot and push it forward. Locate the notch and see its direction before doing so. If there are any metal clips, you need to fix the clips at the end. Generally, in the present computer motherboards, there are no additional clips at the ends of the RAM slot. You must have noticed the small holes on each side of the SIMM. Make sure they fit in properly into their respective holders. Try to pull out the module again to check if it has fit in properly. Once you are done, close your CPU cabinet and plug in all the peripherals and then connect the computer to the power supply. Switch on the computer and check if the amount of RAM that you have added is being displayed. If you are using a Windows operating system, simply right click on My Computer and go to Properties. Here, you will get to see if the correct amount of RAM is being displayed.

If in case you do not see the right amount of RAM that you have installed being displayed, repeat the entire procedure again. When discussing about compatibility, one thing that needs to be mentioned is that a wrong RAM can spoil the RAM card, the memory slots and even the computer. So, in case of any confusion ask a professional for help. Your computer manual will be your bible throughout the process. Besides, one more thing that needs to be mentioned is that, if you have got the wrong RAM, it will not fit into the slots, so you should not try to do the task forcefully. This was all on how to install RAM on a desktop computer. If you want to install RAM on a laptop computer, it is better you take professional help from your laptop manufacturer.

Credits: HERE.

Hope it helps!

RE: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - Heli0s - 04-06-2010

Good, detailed information. Although, with something as technical and hands-on as this, non-MoBo-savvy users would highly appreciate some pictures to go along with what you're talking about. Either way, nice thread.

RE: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - flAmingw0rm - 04-06-2010

I had a picture also, but I lost it somehow .. if you can find any, let me know and I will add it in my main post.

I'll PM you, friend.

RE: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - flAmingw0rm - 04-06-2010

Thank you Heli0s. I added only one picture.. because if I add other I will have to rewrite all the tutorial.

However, thank you.

Hey, no problem. Anything to help.

RE: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - Av917 - 04-06-2010

Nice tutorial very detailed thanks for the share

RE: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - BO0GEYMAN - 04-06-2010

Thx Risto! You are 1 of the best tutorial writers!

RE: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - Notorious Mental - 04-06-2010

(04-06-2010, 05:28 AM)BO0GEYMAN Wrote: Thx Risto! You are 1 of the best tutorial writers!

He didn't write the tutorial.

Nice, detailed tutorial. Really useful.

RE: [Help-Tips] How to Install RAM - .D0T' - 04-06-2010

Nice tutorial. The informations is in-depth and detailed. Very helpful and useful, I might follow this next time.