Support Forums

Full Version: Firefox 3 Alpha 2 Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mozilla yesterday released Firefox 3 Alpha 2, an "early developer milestone" that uses Mozilla's new layout engine Gecko 1.9.

Referred to, perhaps with excessive enthusiasm, as Gran Paradiso, the browser-in-progress is intended for Web developer testing and not for general use. The release notes warn that Gran Paradiso is prone to memory leakage after prolonged use, in addition to other issues.

Gran Paradiso includes improvements in layout positioning and the Cairo graphics layer, ACID2 compliance, support for the Web Apps 1.0 API for changing stylesheets, better XML document handling, and enhanced support for Mac widgets.

With the adoption of the Gecko 1.9 rendering engine, Gran Paradiso no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME. Mac users will need Mac OS X 10.3.9 or above.

The release notes suggest that browser instability may be the result of poorly coded browser add-ons, so those committed to testing the future Firefox 3 code should disable add-ons first if problems arise.

Source: http://www.informationweek.com/news/show...=197004897
Weird, isn't it? How we were on a 1.5 release for 2-3 years, then now, they've announced that FF3 will be release at the end of this year.

Is it just me?

Oh, and the reason rubbish Legacy Windows systems aren't supported is because Cairo is too advanced to have its libraries run on non-NT based Windows OS' (Such as Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and the Sucky ME). NT based Windows OS' include Win2k, WinXP and Vista.

I bore you Tongue

Mike