Support Forums

Full Version: Google Customizes IE 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Google, the search company that Microsoft counts as its biggest rival, has created a customized version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 browser.

Dubbing the edition that's "Optimized for Google," the Mountain View, Calif., search giant has added its own toolbar to IE 7, and set the home page and default search to google.com. The custom IE 7 can be downloaded from here.

"Like Yahoo, USAToday.com, and others, [Google] used the Internet Explorer Administration Kit to create [this] version," said Tony Chor, an IE group program manager, in an entry on the team's blog. The kit is primarily aimed at corporate developers who want to tweak IE, and then simplify company-wide configuration and deployment.

Google also has posted a beta of version 3.0 of its toolbar for the open-source Firefox browser. The preview adds several new features, including integration with Google Docs & Spreadsheets, the search company's online word processor and spreadsheet. When the option is enabled, users can open a Docs or Spreadsheet file by dragging it onto Firefox, by clicking on a file link in a Web page, or by double-clicking a file icon on the desktop. Other additions to the toolbar range from a "Send To" feature to go-everywhere bookmarks; most are already available in the Internet Explorer version of the Google Toolbar.

Google Toolbar 3.0 Beta for Firefox can be downloaded from the Google site.

Source: http://www.informationweek.com/industrie...=196604300
geesh. why did they go through all that, when all people needed to do is download Firefox ?!
hmmm...

Dr Small
So what's the big whoop here? If you've got IE 7, you can install the Google toolbar. And setting the home page and default search engine to Google would take about four seconds. Am I missing something here?
I dunno. All Google did is make IE's home page http://google.com and install their toolbar. Seems like a waste of time to me, when you could do it quicker manually....
This seems like a waste of time, besides, why did this end up in Firefox News?
This has nothing to do about Firefox, except to give more reason why to hate IE.....

Dr Small
Dr Small Wrote:This seems like a waste of time, besides, why did this end up in Firefox News?
This has nothing to do about Firefox, except to give more reason why to hate IE.....

Dr Small
I just thought it was interesting, plus there is a paragraph about FF in there Tongue

If you really wanted to hate IE, just simply go to spreadinternetexplorer.com. And if you go there I recommend turning your Greasemonkey swear filter on, and blocking all images, either just from that site or block them globally while you're there.... That site gives you enough reason to hate IE.
This IS a waste of time. . . . . . .

And spreadie website is awful. See how they constantly bash FF users?!? Atleast FF users don't do that!