Support Forums

Full Version: Some cool Freeware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey.
I was browsing http://snapfiles.com 's freeware section, and here's a few cool things I found and installed!

#1 "Money Manager"
What this does it keep track of your money. You can add in transactions, deposits, withdraws. You add different categories for what your doing. You can even add multiple accounts!
Then see the "Reports" to see where your spending most of your money. (Based on your categories)
I really like this program. Had been looking for one of these all evening, then stumbled across this one!

#2 "Kurlo"
This is sort of like an address book. It keeps track of all your people. You can put them into different categories too!
This is also portable which means you can put it on a USB.

#3 "Birthday"
Tired of trying to keep track of everyone's birthday and how old they are this year?
With this, just add the person's name and their birthdate, and wa-la. It tells you how old they are and keeps track of it itself!

Just thought ya'll might wanna check some of them out! Smile

FW
Awesome! Nice find Lacy!
I've found a few cool things on snapfiles.com/freeware too. (Can't remember the names though)

it sure is my first place to look when I'm in search for freeware! Big Grin

Sara
MiNT's list of excellent freeware to try out.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=113]

GAIM ~ download
Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, and Zephyr networks.

Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Gaim supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, and typing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more.

Gaim runs on a number of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and Qtopia (Sharp Zaurus and iPaq).

Gaim integrates well with GNOME 2 and KDE 3.1's system tray, as well as Windows's own system tray. This allows you to work with Gaim without requiring the buddy list window to be up at all times.

THUNDERBIRD ~ download
Full-Featured Email
Simple to use, powerful, and customizable, Thunderbird is a full-featured email application. Thunderbird supports IMAP and POP mail protocols, as well as HTML mail formatting. Easily import your existing email accounts and messages. Built-in RSS capabilities, powerful quick search, spell check as you type, global inbox, deleting attachments and advanced message filtering round out Thunderbird's modern feature set.

Junk Mail Filters
Each email you receive passes through Thunderbird's leading-edge junk mail filters. Each time you mark messages as spam, Thunderbird improves its filtering so you can spend more time reading the mail that matters. Thunderbird will also use your mail provider's spam filters to keep junk mail out of your inbox.

Anti-Phishing Protection
Thunderbird protects you from increasingly common email scams—also known as “phishing”—which try to fool you into handing over your passwords and other personal information. Thunderbird will tell you when it thinks a message might be a scam.

Advanced Security
Thunderbird provides enterprise and government grade security features including S/MIME, digital signing, message encryption, support for certificates and security devices. Attachments are never run without your express permission, protecting you from many worms and viruses.

Automatic Updates
The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Thunderbird. Thunderbird automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.

Customize Thunderbird
Select new button controls for your toolbars, install extensions to add new features, or change the look of your browser with themes—the way Thunderbird looks and works is under your

VLC MEDIA PLAYER ~ download
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

OPEN OFFICE ~ download
OpenOffice.org the product is a multi-platform office productivity suite. It includes the key desktop applications, such as a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program, with a user interface and feature set similar to other office suites. Sophisticated and flexible, OpenOffice.org also works transparently with a variety of file formats, including those of Microsoft Office, and the vendor-neutral OpenDocument standard from OASIS.
Available in over 65 supported languages with more being constantly added by the community, OpenOffice.org runs stably and natively on Solaris, Linux (including PPC Linux), Windows, Mac OS X (X11), and numerous other platforms. Our porting page lists the platforms (ports) that OpenOffice.org can run on.
Written in C++ and with documented APIs licensed under the LGPL open-source license, OpenOffice.org allows any knowledgeable developer to benefit from the source. And, because the native file format for OpenOffice.org is the vendor-independent OpenDocument open standard, interoperability is easy, making future development and adoption more certain.

INKSCAPE ~ download
Inkscape is a free open source vector graphics package that uses the XML based SVG format. At the time of writing there site was down, so I couldn’t steal there description for the software.

GIMP ~ download
GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
MiNT Wrote:THUNDERBIRD ~ download
Full-Featured Email
Simple to use, powerful, and customizable, Thunderbird is a full-featured email application. Thunderbird supports IMAP and POP mail protocols, as well as HTML mail formatting. Easily import your existing email accounts and messages. Built-in RSS capabilities, powerful quick search, spell check as you type, global inbox, deleting attachments and advanced message filtering round out Thunderbird's modern feature set.

Junk Mail Filters
Each email you receive passes through Thunderbird's leading-edge junk mail filters. Each time you mark messages as spam, Thunderbird improves its filtering so you can spend more time reading the mail that matters. Thunderbird will also use your mail provider's spam filters to keep junk mail out of your inbox.

Anti-Phishing Protection
Thunderbird protects you from increasingly common email scams—also known as “phishing”—which try to fool you into handing over your passwords and other personal information. Thunderbird will tell you when it thinks a message might be a scam.

Advanced Security
Thunderbird provides enterprise and government grade security features including S/MIME, digital signing, message encryption, support for certificates and security devices. Attachments are never run without your express permission, protecting you from many worms and viruses.

Automatic Updates
The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Thunderbird. Thunderbird automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.

Customize Thunderbird
Select new button controls for your toolbars, install extensions to add new features, or change the look of your browser with themes—the way Thunderbird looks and works is under your
I already have this, couldn't go without it!! Smile
MiNT Wrote:VLC MEDIA PLAYER ~ download
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

Cool. I looked on the features page, and it supports Linux Big Grin
Guess I'll have to try it out, since MPlayer and totem won't play videos for some reason.

Dr Small
FirefoxWiz Wrote:I already have this, couldn't go without it!! Smile

I thought so too. Then due to a hardware failure some time ago I lost the ability to put new messages into the archive. My problem will be solved when I finally get a new hdd but until then, all my email is pilling up in my gmail account. (338 messages and counting.)

Incidentally, looking at your signature made me realize I had missed the gimp off of the list. ~ADDED~

Dr Small Wrote:Cool. I looked on the features page, and it supports Linux Big Grin

As does every other piece of software in the list Big Grin
Your a ubuntu user so you will proably find VLC in the multiverse repo.
FirefoxWiz Wrote:#1 "Money Manager"

I love this one! Perfect for keeping track of people who owe me money.
MrMedic Wrote:
FirefoxWiz Wrote:#1 "Money Manager"

I love this one! Perfect for keeping track of people who owe me money.

Yeah, I got two accounts for it. One for my 'first home bank' and the other for my allowance box. Smile
MiNT Wrote:As does every other piece of software in the list Big Grin
Your a ubuntu user so you will proably find VLC in the multiverse repo.
Yeah. I went to the website, and they gave instructions on how to install it for Ubuntu, and it was command line, which is no problem by me Big Grin

AVG would be another freeware for anti-virus, but the instructions were soooo long, I'm surprised I got it installed Tongue

Dr Small
Pages: 1 2