Support Forums

Full Version: Mozilla Drops Firefox Support for Windows 98 and Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote: It was announced today that Firefox will no longer support Windows 98 and Me. The change, which comes about in version 2.0, follows a refusal by Microsoft to patch two "critical" bugs in the older operating systems. The decision has drawn criticism from users over claims that Mozilla will support operating systems that account for a small share of the market.

Gervase Markham, a Mozilla developer has said "The key point is that after July 11th, 2006, Microsoft will no longer be providing even critical security updates for any of the Win 9x family. I argue that continuing to support these operating systems in a browser or other Internet-facing product after vendor security support ceases is actually irresponsible, because it gives users the idea that they can continue to safely use those operating systems for surfing the Internet."

Source

Microsoft has always played pretty fast and loose with security. This underscores their lax attitude, IMO.

Papa
It sucks that Microsoft are stopping updates, and that this has caused a backlash on other companies, but to be fair, whoever still uses Windows 98 and Windows ME needs to have their head banged repeatedly against a wall!
Microsoft has even stopped updating Windows 2000, how stupid can they be? I like Windows 2000 better then Windows XP because of many things. Like the bugs in Windows XP that are _very_ annoying from time to time.
Since Microsoft has stopped developing for it, that has forced me to upgrade.
That's mean of them. There should still be updates for older versions!
I agree with them stopping the 98 and ME versions, but that should have been it. Windows 2000 updates should stop when they release Vista, not beforehand.
Sorry but I have to agree with them doing that. People should really upgrade or use a different OS all together if they're still using 98 and Me.
DrPoodle and Protoman, not really, people should have an freedom todo what they want, not what the big companies want, I've seen Windows Vista, I don't like it. At all.
Windows 2000 should of never been discontinued since it's the last of the "old" windowses, after that they've introduced so much graphics.
What's wrong with graphics?
It uses too much ram, just to load explorer.
My explorer.exe is usually around 99,000 K !

_ISR_m3rc_
You might have a problem with your computer then, because mine is 3 years old with a rubbish processor, and yet explorer is running happily at 8,000K
Pages: 1 2