Support Forums

Full Version: Xbox 360 Red Rings Fix...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Alright I wasn't too sure where to put this so I might as well put it in here...

Well, to begin with, a while back my own xbox 360 received the three red rings of death. I really dreaded sending it back to Microsoft to fix as I knew it would take a while to get it back; so I took matters into my own hands. I googled the three red rings to find all solutions and the best I came up with was the penny trick. I took my xbox apart, installed the pennies, done the towel trick, and miraculourly it worked! It has been working now for 4 or so months and has yet to show any signs of failure.

Now after some bragging, my friend asks me to fix his xbox which is having the same problems. His warranty has expired and the three red rings of death are appearing. I performed the same procedure on his that I did on mine; however, it did not work the same this time. The pennies were installed correctly and I put the entire xbox back together, but it will not run. When I turn the xbox on it will flash the rings but nothing else will run; the fans, nothing, will run. So that means that the towel trick will not work if it won't heat up. I even took the xbox back apart once again to see if I plugged anything in wrong. Everything seemed properly put together but still would not run.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?
And as to how to fix this?
Could it be something I did?
Or Is it just the xbox itself?

Also feel free to discuss your means of fixing the red rings and how you overcomed them besides sending it back... Big Grin
I'd say it's the xbox, isn't the 3RROD a overheating problem anyways?
I sent mine back, but that was so long ago, none of this crap like the penny/towel trick was even heard of.
(10-08-2009, 06:12 PM)Codine Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say it's the xbox, isn't the 3RROD a overheating problem anyways?

It will suck if it is the xbox itself.
I was really hoping to fix it.
And 3RROD is a General Hardware Failure, Two Red Rings is Overheating, I believe. (Googled, lol)
Red ring sucks Sad
If its a overheating problem you can probably apply some new thermal paste to the heatsink and the gpu also the processors a 6 dollar do it yourself trick x] as for thermal paste i'd recommend arctic silver 5.
(10-09-2009, 09:05 AM)Prone Wrote: [ -> ]Red ring sucks Sad

Tell me about it.

(10-09-2009, 09:07 AM)krzyflipx Wrote: [ -> ]If its a overheating problem you can probably apply some new thermal paste to the heatsink and the gpu also the processors a 6 dollar do it yourself trick x] as for thermal paste i'd recommend arctic silver 5.

I have looked everywhere for thermal paste and still can't find any.
I've been to Lowes, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Radioshack. >_<
if you dont mind waiting you can buy thermal paste at newegg.com, but if you have any Fry's electronics in your area that would be your best bet if you don't want to wait for shipping
(10-09-2009, 12:59 PM)krzyflipx Wrote: [ -> ]if you dont mind waiting you can buy thermal paste at newegg.com, but if you have any Fry's electronics in your area that would be your best bet if you don't want to wait for shipping

Alright, thanks very much! I haven't seen any Fry's Electronics around here but I can wait a lil bit for it on newegg.com.
''I go with the Towel Trick''

Do NOT do this. It is bad for the xbox and It frys the gpu. Do it if you want to play for like 4 days and then it will break again
Pages: 1 2 3