Support Forums

Full Version: [TUT] Arguments how to stop them or win them
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay this tutorial is compiled of my own advice. So take it or leave it, please don't judge too much.

How to stop an argument

I'm sure we have all experienced an argument before in our life and maybe you have stopped and thought, ' Hmm... I wonder how to just stop this person from yelling at me ' well have no fear Superman I am going to provide the bases of how to stop an argument in it's tracks!

Before Acting

First off I suggest taking some time out to think. Try and block out what the person is saying and try to establish on what bases the argument is working around. Are you in the wrong? Are they just trying to argue? If you're in the wrong then you need to establish what you've done wrong, but on the other hand if a person is just ranting and raving at you then I in both cases wait for a break in conversation then act as following:

If you've done something wrong

If someone is shouting at you because you're in the wrong then you need to realize just that. ' You're in the wrong ' and you need to be apologetic towards the person. Nine times out of ten the person is probably shouting at you to make you remorseful and to make you realize what you've done wrong.
Therefore you need to tell the person that you understand what you did was wrong and that you are sorry. The worst thing you can do is try and argue back. This will just make the situation ten times worse, believe me.
Basically you just need to show them that you understand you did wrong and that you're truly sorry. This will stop them from going over the same points. It's a sure fire way to stop the earache Victoire

Pointless argument, they're raging at you
Well you first need to understand that this person is probably quite angry and frustrated so like before we're not going to argue back. You need to adapt a mature attitude and you need to listen to what they're saying. You need to sympathize with the person and let them know you understand what they're feeling and/or what the problem is.
You need to comfort them and get them talking about what's wrong. Then try and correct it if you can, if you can't then you should offer some advice as to how they can solve their problem. Just make sure you let them know you're there for them.

These are my tips to stop an argument. Please feel free to add you're own Thumbsup

-Sam
Nice.But its very hard to actually follow these things.
Amazing tutorial, I'd like to think I am good at arguing, but maybe not at stopping them evolving.

I can win them,but not stop them, many thanks for this tutorial, I will try it out.

~A
I just tell them to relax/shut the fuçk up. If they see that you don't give a shìt, they'll stop trying.

Good tut if you want to make friends though lol.
Good advice which can be difficult to practice in the middle of an argument! To be able to keep a cool head when tempers are running high is a mark of true self-control. Thanks for contributing this to the forum.
Thanks for your comments.
Thanks Sam you have the best Tutorials. Smile
This is a very nice TuT, You would be surprised how many times I find myself caught right in the middle of a pointless argument.
Thank you I will remember this.