Support Forums

Full Version: How To Find High-Res Versions Of Images Easily (good for finding wallpapers)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is my first quick tutorial.

Let's say your browsing around for a cool wallpaper, possibly on one of those "Post your Desktop!" threads or something. Or maybe you have a stock image that is too small, and want to find out if there is a bigger version? Well, there's a really nifty website you can use to do a 'reverse image search.'
---------------------
You're looking at a desktop thread, and see a really sweet thumbnail and want to get the source image.
But oh no! The original poster doesn't have the image file anymore. What to do with this puny image?
[Image: s27ksk.png]
(I borrowed this picture from S0rath on this thread.)

This is easy. Just go to http://www.tineye.com/.

You'll see that it looks very similar to Google. You can choose to upload a picture, or to paste a URL.
[Image: tineye1.png]

Copy and paste the desired image URL
[Image: tineye2.png]

When you arive to the results page, you may notice that some results aren't any larger. If you're looking for higher-res pictures, there's an options tab to find the biggest results.
[Image: tineye3.png]

And voila! High-res wallpapers and images just became way easier to find.
[Image: tineye4.png]

Another really good use for this is finding copies of images with watermarks on them. Check it out:
[Image: talesofpirates200707051.jpg] => [Image: deathset.png]
I wonder how this works, how they find the images.. wow. Thanks man, I needed S0rath's pic too.
(10-08-2009, 05:54 PM)Headshot Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder how this works, how they find the images.. wow. Thanks man, I needed S0rath's pic too.

TinEye.com Wrote:When you submit an image to be searched, TinEye creates a unique and compact digital signature or 'fingerprint' for it, then compares this fingerprint to every other image in our index to retrieve matches. TinEye can even find a partial fingerprint match.

Not a very detailed explanation, but I guess it gives some ideas. It really is mind-boggling when you think about how they must have done it. I wonder why Google doesn't have a similar feature?
I tried it, but it doesn't find high-res images. -.-

It finds similar images with edit's in, like avatars, signatures or just retarded ones.
(10-08-2009, 06:10 PM)Headshot Wrote: [ -> ]I tried it, but it doesn't find high-res images. -.-

It finds similar images with edit's in, like avatars, signatures or just retarded ones.

Same happens to me.. I put a 1680x1050 pic up. Highest Resolution it found was 400x398..
Lolzzz... Neva knew something like this existed... Thanks for the tutorial Smile
I have never heard of this but thank you for sharing.

I will use this when needed, Smile
@TheDoctor: Yup, or you could just see avatars instead of High-Res, lol.

But.. do you know where I get my awesome wallpapers and High-Res pictures? Big Grin /r/, /wp/ and /hr/. Roflmao
/b/ is another place to get good ones :o
Not all the times.

inb4 the rules.
Pages: 1 2