Support Forums

Full Version: Perl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is perl exactly.

I know it is a scripting language.

But what is it used for.

Why use perl instead of python or C.

What are pros and cons of it.

Thanks for any help looking into languages.
perl is interpreted so it cant be compiled, it is a high level language so its easier to code compared to other languages although there isn't as many functions as c++ (unless you download all the librbaries)
What is the point...

Is it good for something specific?
Well, there are advantages that come with interpreted languages, like the fact that it doesn't need to be compiled which will save a lot of time. After you finish writing it, you can immediately run it after to see how well it runs or to see any errors. It's a matter of choice. Now, over python, I'm not entirely sure about the advantages over Python.
Yes thank you Smile I understand the advantages of scripting languages

Thanks for the help.

I was just wondering if it was good for something specific like java is good for web applets.

Thanks
One of the biggest advantages of Perl is the CPAN library.

http://www.cpan.org/

And before PHP, Perl was a very popular web language. Most of the early dynamic sites were Perl.

I wouldn't really say it's as useful today as it was in the late 90's for websites but many older programmers still depend on it.

Python has gained a lot of ground imho the past few years and I think Ruby is also moving fast.

At this point in the game. Perl would be one of the last languages I would bother learning.
Omni ftw

He really is omnicient(all knowing)

Thanks for the help that's what I wanted to know
Perl provides powerful text processing facilities without the arbitrary data length limits of many contemporary Unix tools, facilitating easy manipulation of text files. It is also used for graphics programming, system administration, network programming, applications that require database access and CGI programming on the Web.
use the google search for more pearl..

note : it's not a easy language
(10-09-2009, 05:23 AM)danger Wrote: [ -> ]use the google search for more pearl..

note : it's not a easy language

Pearl lololo.
I think you shouldn't post about language you can't even spell.
Pages: 1 2