Support Forums

Full Version: Quickest Linux Distro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What's the fastest Linux distro that uses the least resources? I require something that will run on an AMD processor and around 512MB RAM. I tried Ubuntu 10.04 but it was too slow.

Any suggestions guys?
I wouldn't put yourself through DSL or PuppyLinux...Linux is as slow as you make it, really. Download an Arch image and read through the wiki for help setting it up. Arch is good as a minimal distro, because you're in control of what gets installed while the process isn't very complicated and time consuming...like Gentoo.
Hi BeaNo Smile
Well I suppose that it depends on your computer, and with styles of that distro you've installed .
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I'm sorry, Psycho, but I believe I'll try one of the distro's that Cheeseburger has stated as I don't have a lot of spare time right now.

@CyBeR geeK, it's the crappy AMD AthlonXP system that I told you about a week or so ago. I have it up and running again now, my third system which I'm going to use to improve my efficiency and hopefully reduce the strain on my current PC's. I should get a lot more work done now as well! Smile
(06-06-2010, 01:28 PM)Beano Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your suggestions guys. I'm sorry, Psycho, but I believe I'll try one of the distro's that Cheeseburger has stated as I don't have a lot of spare time right now.

@CyBeR geeK, it's the crappy AMD AthlonXP system that I told you about a week or so ago. I have it up and running again now, my third system which I'm going to use to improve my efficiency and hopefully reduce the strain on my current PC's. I should get a lot more work done now as well! Smile
Yeah, I remember Smile
Good luck with linux man !
Try mint or puppy linux or try googling which is the fastest for some comparisons.
DSL or puppy are fast, but not really of any use. If you want a ubuntu base have a look at crunchbang.
Arch is alright, minix is very efficient from what i hear( < 6000 lines of code ?!), but its different than linux and BSD.

EDIT: Also do not use a resource intensive DE like KDE/GNOME. Use something light like xfce or just use a window manager like fluxbox.
(06-03-2010, 08:22 AM)Beano Wrote: [ -> ]What's the fastest Linux distro that uses the least resources? I require something that will run on an AMD processor and around 512MB RAM. I tried Ubuntu 10.04 but it was too slow.

Any suggestions guys?

It depends how fast the processor is.

I installed ubuntu on my classmates laptop with 1.6GHz Intel Pentium & 512 RAM and it runs with visual effects as fine as windows xp...

But if ubuntu (GNOME desktop) runs slow, you can try Xubuntu - XFCE is a bit lighter desktop environment than GNOME.
Pages: 1 2